El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1964. I posted a similar thread in electical, but thought brake gurus could help as well. I hope I am not breaking rules. I have 12-13 volts at the second fuse from the bottom all the time, even with ignition off. I cant put a fuse in it without it blowing. Is this the fuse for the brake/tail lights? Is it supposed to have constant power? Why would it immidiately blow the fuse? The interior lights are not working either. All of this was working correctly a couple weeks ago. This is my son's 64 and we really need it on the road. Please advise where I should start. Please read the other post, there is a lot of other info in there regarding a stereo we installed and some testing I did with weird results. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Just below the fuse box is a flat ribbon connector. Disconnect it and see if the short goes away. If it does the problem is in the wiring going to the rear lighting/gas gauge. Start at the back bumper and work your way forward inspecting the harness. Screws through the flat ribbon cable use to be a common problem when people started mounting things in the vehicle. Like amps under a seat and etc.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did just as you said, and it seems to be the connection off the flat ribbon that goes to the interior light. Thank you for your help. At this point, it's back on the road! Time will tell, thank you:nanawrench:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts