El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so I've got a problem with an 87 El Camino, 8cyl, 5L, carbureted, automatic transmission. So recently, I replaced the steering gear box and the intermediate shaft. Both of which were a hot mess. Seems completely unrelated, but those were the most recent repairs and it was starting up and running just fine before that. Went to test drive it, and nothing. No crank, no power at all. Tested the battery and it was junk, so I went and got a new one. However, still wouldn't start, only with the new battery, the lights and radio were working again, but still nothing. Did a visual inspection that led to me changing the ignition coil, as well as cleaning up all the ground connection (side note: all the spark plugs and wires were changed just a few months before this mess. All work fine). Still, no crank, no start. SO, I moved on to the starter. Yanked that sucker out and it was in pretty rough shape, so decided it would be best to just replace it. At the same time I replaced the fusible link wires that go to it, to be on the safe side. STILL NOTHING. battery tests fine. Starter tests fine. No crank, no start. So a couple days ago I did the last thing I could think of and installed a new neutral safety switch. NOPE. DIDNT WORK. I of coarse, tested the fuses (the ones I could find, at least) and they were all fine. I am at my wits end. This car has been the absolute bane of my existence for so long now. Please somebody, anybody, help me out before I lose my mind. I have the repair manual, and I have read every damn section, repeatedly. I have done every. single. thing . What am I missing ? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to read this pathetic tale of woe.

o_O
I had a similar problem with my 1976 El Camino. Finally found the problem, which was connectors had come loose from a terminal block on the lower drivers side ( under the dash and hard to see). It's a pain to connect because it is so hard to see, and real tricky to get it connected tight. BUT, it was the problem. Look for any wires loose in that area. Hope this is it and you get running again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so I've got a problem with an 87 El Camino, 8cyl, 5L, carbureted, automatic transmission. So recently, I replaced the steering gear box and the intermediate shaft. Both of which were a hot mess. Seems completely unrelated, but those were the most recent repairs and it was starting up and running just fine before that. Went to test drive it, and nothing. No crank, no power at all. Tested the battery and it was junk, so I went and got a new one. However, still wouldn't start, only with the new battery, the lights and radio were working again, but still nothing. Did a visual inspection that led to me changing the ignition coil, as well as cleaning up all the ground connection (side note: all the spark plugs and wires were changed just a few months before this mess. All work fine). Still, no crank, no start. SO, I moved on to the starter. Yanked that sucker out and it was in pretty rough shape, so decided it would be best to just replace it. At the same time I replaced the fusible link wires that go to it, to be on the safe side. STILL NOTHING. battery tests fine. Starter tests fine. No crank, no start. So a couple days ago I did the last thing I could think of and installed a new neutral safety switch. NOPE. DIDNT WORK. I of coarse, tested the fuses (the ones I could find, at least) and they were all fine. I am at my wits end. This car has been the absolute bane of my existence for so long now. Please somebody, anybody, help me out before I lose my mind. I have the repair manual, and I have read every damn section, repeatedly. I have done every. single. thing . What am I missing ? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to read this pathetic tale of woe.

o_O
I forgot to mention that the terminal block I referred to in my first reply is NOT the neutral switch!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.