El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks for reading this... I am stumped. I have an 86 with the 4.3L FI V6 and it will not start at all. The engine turns over beautifully but I am NOT getting fuel to the injectors. I replaced the electric fuel pump a few years ago and change the filter regularly. I removed the filter to check for a blockage and it was fine. I do not have a fuel pump pressure gauge but think I should be able to check it without one to see if it is getting a signal. I have never heard the system charge like some people talk about so I cannot answer if I hear anything when I turn on the key. I also have no idea how to test the fuel pump relay. I know that the ECM is involved with a lot of this but it was replaced a few years ago too and I do not think that this is part of the issue. What I need are suggestions for checking the relay and pump for signal issues before I just replace them both. I have not been getting any check engine signals and was wondering if I could possibly have any wiring issues I should check as well. I have a reoccurring problem with brake light failure and have a steering wheel harness issue I think but this does not seem to me to be something I should check now. I like to fix what is wrong and not jump in and just replace suspected parts. Any tips anyone and or additional things you think I should check? Thanks again, Dave

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
If it is like my TPI setup, the lower left input on the ALDL connector is to test the fuel pump. Apply 12V there and you should be able to hear the pump whine. Could be the Fuel pump relay, or the fuel pump itself. Assuming you checked for any blown fuses?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...checked all the fuses. I will give the test a try tomorrow. This is exactly what I was looking for short of buying both and just replacing them which has been an only option in the past. I'll post the results. Thanks a lot for the tip. We shall see how it goes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fixed

Well ran the test on the relay and all good there. Decided to do a wire trace back to the fuel pump and all was good except the ground looked corroded and in need cleaning and reseating. At this point I thought I was screwed since I forgot that the fuel pump sits atop the tank and you need to drop the tank to get at it. This is not a big deal unless the tank is full which it was. So I ran my hand to the pump connections to check connections. Seemed fine and cleaned area best I could. While I was down there I decided to do one last thing and whack the tank a couple of times with a rubber mallet instead of the 2x4 that was suggested by a couple of mechanics I know. Got out from under it and it started right up. Went ahead and changed out the fuel filter canister and all is good. Thanks again for the relay tip!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts