El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 elcomino , I put new headgaskets on but when I hooked up the starter and then the 12volt cable then the fuse links also the ignition wire .....but I have no power anywhere no fuse box no lights no start it's all dead.

·
Premium Member
8,551 Posts
I think the ground wire attaches by the emergency brake handle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
He said entire car. That is why I asked about the negative to the block or on mine it’s the alternator bracket.
Tom

·
Premium Member
8,551 Posts
My apologies, I was just thinking about the fuse panel. Yours is a better idea.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Re-check that you didn't miss one of the fusible links when connecting to the starter

·
Registered
435 Posts
May seem a dumb question, but have you checked that the battery is charged, and connections are good?
Next, as hattrick suggested, check all ground connections, particularly engine to frame, and negative cable to both engine and fender.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are you positive that you connected the starter right? Some of them are 3 pole, some just 2 pole and if you mix up the ignition wiring to the wrong pole, you'll get nothing downstream.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,651 Posts
I have an 86 elcomino , I put new headgaskets on but when I hooked up the starter and then the 12volt cable then the fuse links also the ignition wire .....but I have no power anywhere no fuse box no lights no start it's all dead.
Twyn , I understand that your first priority is getting your starter system to work properly . I noticed you are a new member and not sure if you are familiar with Caminos but would like to suggest that while you are messing around the starter , that you install a simple heat shield / blanket wrap to protect the starter from exhaust heat as it is close to the factory exhaust pipe . My 83 and 87 went through several overheating starters until I installed the heat shield and a high torque mini starter . The mini gives more room from the exhaust pipe . Most factory starters seem to be ok but some quick , cheap help is available . The shields are readily available .

Reactions: 5spdCab
1 - 10 of 10 Posts