El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just bought a 69 el camino for my son and the heater/air controls dont work at all like theres no power it does nothing. I can feel a very small amount of heat coming from defroster while driving it but thats it. The fuse under the dash is good any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome Jay
you can do some testing
just to see if the blower will run..
with a test/jumper wire from the battery 12v, touch the power terminal on the blower motor,,
if it don't run, check the blower motor ground...
if it runs then it could be the blower switch on the dash, or the resistor on the heater box outside..
with a Test Light or Volt Meter start at the fuse box and check for power, and at the switch,
and thru the 3 speeds on the switch,
and out to the resistor, thru the resistor to the blower motor..
if it has A/C there may be a Hi-Speed Blower Relay on the heater box too..
TEXAS SALUTE1.jpg

ELEC 69diagram_color.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Jay
you can do some testing
just to see if the blower will run..
with a test/jumper wire from the battery 12v, touch the power terminal on the blower motor,,
if it don't run, check the blower motor ground...
if it runs then it could be the blower switch on the dash, or the resistor on the heater box outside..
with a Test Light or Volt Meter start at the fuse box and check for power, and at the switch,
and thru the 3 speeds on the switch,
and out to the resistor, thru the resistor to the blower motor..
if it has A/C there may be a Hi-Speed Blower Relay on the heater box too..
View attachment 126751

View attachment 126752
Awesome thank you!!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Not sure on a 69, does it have the 4 wire plug with the red power wire to the blower motor that always has a melt-down when enough corrosion builds up? I've bought 3 or 4 cars that had already been by-passed and spliced, including my current one.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure on a 69, does it have the 4 wire plug with the red power wire to the blower motor that always has a melt-down when enough corrosion builds up? I've bought 3 or 4 cars that had already been by-passed and spliced, including my current one.

Joe
Yes sir red black wire to blower. If i put the on off switch right in the middle setting I can hear the motor blowing on a low speed and a small amount of hot air to come out defroster

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Yes sir red black wire to blower. If i put the on off switch right in the middle setting I can hear the motor blowing on a low speed and a small amount of hot air to come out defroster
If you have already tried a direct hot-wire from the battery to the blower motor and it runs fine, you most likely have a ground problem, or corrosion on the power side, or possibly a bad switch. If it runs poorly with direct battery voltage, you either have a bad ground or the blower motor is dying. I'm hoping this helps. Diagnosing from the keyboard just invites a bad diagnosis. Good luck but I think you are on the right path!

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts