El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1979 elcamino won’t start has power the headlights and horn but no power to ignition switch. Put on new headers and might have shorted something out. Fuseable links and fuses all good... thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
If you shorted something you would have blown fuses or fusible links. Double check for a ground that didn't get hooked back up or maybe the purple starter wire? Just a place to start. There will be many more suggestions soon, we have some good trouble-shooters here!

Joe

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,518 Posts
If you shorted something you would have blown fuses or fusible links. Double check for a ground that didn't get hooked back up or maybe the purple starter wire? Just a place to start. There will be many more suggestions soon, we have some good trouble-shooters here!

Joe
x2
pretty sure did something to the starter solenoid wires

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Check the plugs that are connected to the column.. I've had that same issue because I pulled one of those long plug....

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
welcome D
could be a connection problem at the
bulk-head connector or ignition-switch or bad ign-switch..

check the turn-signals, radio, pwr windows, ign power with the key on..
get a meter or test light and do some testing..
make sure you have power on both-2 big red wires to the ign-switch..

a header to starter short may have smoked the starter solenoid..

·
Registered
274 Posts
try to start it in Neutral instead of Park. (neutral safety switch) Also My Elky wont start when the Tilt wheel is all the way up see if that could be it.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
got it figured out yet ??
no power to the ign-switch is usually the Fusible Links..
could be 2 power wires to the ign-switch too..

did you find all 3 -10ga power wires off the starter, sometimes we mis one ??
now days lots of guys are re-running them to the battery, less shorts, better access..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts