El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Plans for today were simple... a nice afternoon cruise with my son. I backed the car out and the engine kind of sputtered and died. I wasn't too concerned and tried to fire it up again but I had no power anywhere. No turnover, no gauge lights, no stereo, no lights, no nothing. Battery is 3 months old, and I was running a trickle on it 2 days ago so I really doubt it's that. From what I've read on here I'm leaning to fusible wire? I just can't see what else would kill everthing at once. Also I have a 1968 Camaro 327 engine, can anyone direct me where to look for this wire? Any other ideas? ...it's a pretty crappy feeling!!!

· Registered
555 Posts
Make sure the battery terminals are clean. Make sure you have power at the starter solenoid. Make sure you have power at the fuse block (under the dash , left side). Check all the basics first.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
I believe '71 has its main fuse-able link coming off the pos battery cable, at the battery.:texas::beer:

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to take a look -hopefully- in the next few days. I'm not good at this kind of thing and my car has quite a few mods so hopefully I can figure it out. I really don't want to take it into a shop.

Gilby- awesome pics, they help. thank you.

1320ElkySS- Battery is clean, if it was the started solenoid would that wipe out all the electrical (gauges, radio, etc...)? I checked fuses and they were fine but didn't use a tester on it yet. Will do that.

hotrodelco- I didn't see anything but I will open every wire wrap to be sure.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
double check that your battery cables are tight, weak ground could cause your symptoms.

If you have terminal post cleaning tool - it cannot hurt to re-clean connections and re-tighten cables.
Yeah, battery cables were tight, I have a pretty elaborate set up and it would take a lot to loosen them, battery is immaculate as well. I'll check the ground.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, I'm planning on tackling this issue this weekend. After doing some more checking I believe it is the fusible link on the horn relay. The black wire from the horn relay buss bar seems very limp, that cannot be normal can it? Would this cause my no power anywhere issue?

Here is a picture of my wire, were do I cut it? ...

Here are a couple good images others might find helpful in the future or those who may be curious now and like myself don't know a lot about this issue....

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, thanks guys, it was the horn relay fusible link, bonus points to Gilby for calling it right off the bat. I didn't know such a little wire could literally shut down my car.

Also, for what it's worth my '71 had the fusible links at the battery and behind drivers head light at the horn relay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.