El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 and I can’t get fluid to the rear brakes. I have a new master cylinder and it was bench bled then hooked up the lines. Front brakes work but no rear ?
I researched this topic and found info on the proportioning valve. We tried to reset it but no luck. When tiny pushed the brakes and small nub comes out the end when he lets off it goes back in. Is that normal? Any help is much appreciated. ??

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Check the rubber hose coming from the body down to the axle.
Loosen one of the lines at the center and see if you get fluid.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the rubber hose coming from the body down to the axle.
Loosen one of the lines at the center and see if you get fluid.
Thanks for the reply. I did that also. Loosened the drivers side and had Tiny stomp on the brakes and not a drop cane out ??.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did that also. Loosened the drivers side and had Tiny stomp on the brakes and not a drop cane out ??.
Driver’s side? I think he was referring to the one and only hose that comes off of the vehicle frame and connects up to a “T” fitting on top of the differential. Any of the rubber hoses can collapse internally and restrict flow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driver’s side? I think he was referring to the one and only hose that comes off of the vehicle frame and connects up to a “T” fitting on top of the differential. Any of the rubber hoses can collapse internally and restrict flow.
Please reread his reply thank you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You seem to be using the best approach which is to keep disconnecting hoses and lines toward the master cylinder until you find the last segment where brake fluid is flowing, then either blow it out or replace. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Yes to above post.
Take the line loose from the rear rubber hose (not fun on a 5th gen) and see if you get fluid there. Probably will.
Blowing it out will NOT fix it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply
I’ll give it a try
I took off a line from the junction block. 🏁😎

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes to above post.
Take the line loose from the rear rubber hose (not fun on a 5th gen) and see if you get fluid there. Probably will.
No wrenching today. We did go to the local parts store and picked up everything for the rear brakes. New hose..shoes.. wheel cylinders and new brake drums. I didn’t get a spring kit as I have a complete rear end in the donor car. I have a fresh pitcher of sweet tea and a comfy lawn chair to supervise from. Tiny is gonna have fun with those wheel cylinder retainer clips🤣😂🐜
I couldn’t find the s10 retainer brackets 🏁😎

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes to above post.
You nailed it 464elky it was the rear rubber line collapsed internally. We replaced everything while we had it apart. Drums, wheel cylinders, new shoes, new brake line. We did find a tip for the rear clips that hold the wheel cylinders on.We removed the rear shock and springs to gain some room to swing a hammer. 1 1/8 th socket fits perfectly and for the rubber line we removed the top bolt for the upper left rear end control arm. A little PB Blaster and it wasn’t bad. Now we have great brakes and some decent shocks.
Shoutout to minoridertim for bringing over the sawzall 😎
We also cut off the old turbo mufflers and tail pipes to make room for the new exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts