El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little lost because I have all other lights working except my reverse lights. Tail lights, brake lights, headlights, turn signals, side markers, etc... All work. All my fuses are in place and everything works. Is there another fuse somewhere or a switch that maybe hard to get to or find?

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
The BU light/neutral safety switch is located on top of the steering column just inside the firewall. About even with the gas pedal. The big purple wires are the starter solenoid wires. The smaller ones are the backup lights. Pink and black I think for power and light green to the lights. Check the wiring diagram to make sure on the colors.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just like 464 elky said, you can also put the car in reverse, shut it off,go down to the floor and bottom of steering column, and turn that collar a little until they come on. Only reason I know this is beause a friend had to come over and help me with exactly same issues as this.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
i'm not sure on the elky with a 4spd? and if it still has the 4spd column also? [you have a tilt column, kinda rare]

IIRC??
my 78 z28 had a rod or cable from the reverse linkage to the steering column
that moved the bu light switch.

x2 check on the ground and the socket also,, IIRC?? the ground is behind the license plate bucket??:usa:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a manual on the floor. I won't have time to verify untill the weekend where that switch is but as far as I know there is no neutral safety switch on manual cars. I've heard that there's a fuse by the driver side marker light behind the rear tire too. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
When I brought my latest EC home, my reverse lights didn't work.
When I had a chance to check it out, both bulbs were burnt out.
Just sayin,
Keepin it simple. :wink3:

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
4 spd cars had the BU light switch on the shifter plate side of the tranny. Wires came out through the firewall as a seperate harness and went down the drivers side close to the e brake cable. Same colors as the auto. The reverse shift lever had a small rod that comes forward to the side of the shift plate to work the switch.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been talking to some people and found out that the rod connected to the linkage can corrode and break or stick closed. I'll check that stuff and I never really thought about the bulbs. (Showing my lack of experienc.. I'm learning though!) if everything checks out with the switch then I'll check and make sure power's getting to the light sockets and go from there. Thanks for all the help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts