El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've actually got a question here from my dad, we recently swapped in a BBC into his '69 Nova and now suddenly he has no spark, the car has been ran a couple times so it did start before. Anyways the problem now is that there is no juice going to the plugs at all. Today we installed a new MSD6AL box and put in a new petronix billet dist. and a new MSD coil and still no spark to the plugs. the box is getting power and the coil is also getting power, plus we tried the old 6AL box and 2 other coils too, but still no spark :mad: . maybe someone might have some idea as to what it could be, any help would be apreciated i know my dad is just dying to get out and drive his toy.
Thanks
camino81

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a rotor break on me once. The tab that contacts the distributor cap must have hit one of the terminals and it swung around and wouldn't make the connection from the coil to each plug. My coil still had spark but no spark to the plugs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a MSD6 box with a MSD dist on my 396 and had the same problem. It ran perfect and then one day I shut it off, tried to start it a few minutes later and had no spark. I played with it and it started again, ran about 30 seconds and died. Couldn't get anything after that. I checked everything the way Autotronics(MSD) said to do and borrowed a new MSD coil from a friend who was building a 427 as directed by MSD and still couldn't get any spark. I sent the box back to Texas under warranty. They sent it back to me and said there was nothing wrong with the box. I was naturally somewhat disturbed since I thought it had to be the box. When I reinstalled it, I replaced every connector and was careful to be sure that I had tight positive connections. It started and still runs perfect. MSD capacitive discharge systems really run on very low voltage and any weak connection can play havoc with the system. Be absolutely sure that you have good grounds or it won't work. Good luck.

·
1,867 Posts
A MSD box is one of the most reliable parts you can buy. I have a 5a, & two 6a's on my cars right now will no problems. One of the 6a's is 7 years old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts