El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! The AC compressor on my 86 Caballero has developed a loud growl/low frequency vibration at idle speed only. Above idle and there is no noise. The system works fine. A new (not reconditioned) compressor was installed in 2000 at the same time the system was converted to R-134. I took it to the installer and he said he thought it needed a new belt. Changed the belt, but did not help. I also snugged all mounting bolts, etc. Installer said he does not know what the problem happens to be. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Sounds like a crapped out compresser. Did your mechanic bother to checked system pressures? Could be a bad fan clutch causing too high pressure either making the compresser noisy at idle, or could have trashed it. Regardless, have your guy check the pressures.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have a thermal fan clutch go bad late last summer, but the temps did not reach extreme levels. The temp would climb to 210 to 215 around town but wold cool off on the freeway. Finally traced the problem to a bad thermal clutch which I replaced. Is it possible that temps in this range could cause damage to the compressor?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Is it possible that temps in this range could cause damage to the compressor?
Yes, if you were running the a/c with a bad fan clutch.
Check your system pressures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts