El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to share my new El Camino riding partner! My Jack Russell Terrier of only 5 weeks. She has no name as of yet, first day home! :)

Dave

:)

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
"Jackie"

·
Registered
481 Posts
how about naming her "elka"

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh boy. Those are 25 hours a day,8 days a week dogs. They really should be called Jack Russell Terrors.

I'm not trying to be negative but I'm just gonna give you some advise cause my dad has one. They are very needy dogs that want your attention ALL the time. You have to break them of this behavior when they are young cause if you don't,they will always be like that. If they get older and have that habit still,they will tear apart the room when you leave them alone. My dad learned this the hard way. Luckily he's retired and takes the dog everywhere with him(he reminds me of the dad on that show Kramer,that's a JR too).

I also noticed two more things with these dogs. They take a little more time than the norm to potty train so you might want to crate him for awhile and be consitant with it. The other thing is that they seem to not have a stop mechanism in thier brain for eating. They will just keep eating and eating any food you put in front of them even if they are full.

I've read up on these dogs after my dad got one and this seems to be the normal type of behavior and traits within the breed.

On the plus side though,if you train them right,they can do tricks and such. They are well known for being performer dogs or another term they call them is circus dogs. Watch tv and movies and you'll see plenty of them(the Mask,the afermentioned Kramer show,ect.). They are also very loyal and protective of thier master. Not to mention they are very cute(if she's riding with you,expect lots of girls to take notice of her :cool: )

Good luck with him.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips and wisdom on this breed. I have read up on them a lot, and hope I can handle all that horsepower she has in that little package! As a family we hope she can learn the curve quickly. The first thing I read about these dogs is that "they own you"...you don't own them!

Not only does she have to get along and learn our ways of life but also my 5 year old Shepard "Rusty"

Thanks again for the "Good Luck"

And thanks to all for allowing this non ELKY post!

My Rusty....

·
Registered
33 Posts
i own a 15in tall Rat Terrier/Mountain Curr or something i not sure how u spell Curr. The dog is the meanist little bitch dog i ever seen :cry: the thing is a awsome guard dog and we also broke this terrier of the needing when it was yound we put in in a pin outside for 2 weeks then let it in the house and got it so it just sleeps when we are gone in the house know. dog is awsome but mean. u dont touch there food or chew bones. r looked exactly like yours did when we got it at 5 or 6 weeks. itll be full grown soon. my dog wont let one sit on my bed outside of family like if i have a friend over ill have to put the dog in the living room or smack it so it lets my friend sit down on the bed to play xbox or something.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that I'm a wonder with dogs but I have had a few in my life time. One thing I won't allow is a dog to be harmful to any family members or a dog that won't let you touch them when they are eating etc. My German Shepard could almost be a K-9 police dog and he is very well trained and behaved. Hopefully she will learn a lot from him as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:D I thought I'd add my newest family member, Rufus. He is a Papillon(French for butterfly), but he has no idea he's small and named after an insect. he's 1 lb, 7 oz and he's all heart, and loves to play with you and chase youaround the furniture. When God designed dogs, he sure knew what he was doing. "Man's best friend" doesn't quite do them justice.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i have a puppy too, his name is griz and he is already up to my waist (im 6'1") he is have anatollion sheppard, and 1/4 pierenese 1/4 sheppard. he is going to be a monster, hes big enough that he could be hog huntin dog! (i know i spelt every dog name wrong)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts