El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of the gauges work on my 73 SS. Ignition, exterior lights, and wipers all work, but none of the gauges, radio, A/C, work at all. It's tricky driving a 454 with no fuel gauge...

I don't have a lot of experience on the electircal side of things, so I just wanted to see if you folks had any suggestions before I start buying parts or paying for repairs. Any ideas?

Since all the gauges don't work, it makes sense to me that the problem might not be the gauges themselves, but a problem with the wiring instead. I've had fuse issues before, and whoever put in the power windows made a mess, so that could be it. I was wondering if it is worth $500 for a whole new wiring harness from Painless, or if that would even help the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..check the fusible link thats behind the power booster on the firewall,...

..(bulkhead connector..)

,Have key in "RUN" position,check for power at "BATT2 & BATT3" on the fuse block..
..I don't know if you pulled out the dash to replace any light bulbs or not,if you did,you don't have the dash connector completely push in all the way,or not line up right..:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most cars of that vintage has a voltage regulator for the gauges. If it is not working none of the gauges will work.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
The gauge voltage regulator usually fed power to the gas and temp gauges only.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You mentioned radio and A/C out as well as gages, so start by checking power for those circuits at the fuse panel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i had the same problem but i think i got it fix first check the 1.fuse 2. check the firewall make sure is nice and tight. 3. make sure ground cable is connected

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced some fuses and now the radio works. That's great, but you can't hear it over the engine, anyway. I'll try the rest of these suggestions when I get back to where I keep the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts