El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
North Carolina passed house bill 187 in 2011 that required labeling of gasoline with Ethanol. Unfortunately there was no enforcement mechanism in place so even though stations were required to label, they never bothered.

Beginning June 1, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has issued another ruling that all gasoline must be labeled with its ethanol content. There is no mention of enforcement or penalties for noncompliance, but hopefully an enforcement mechanism is in place.

This is our chance Tarheels. Beginning Friday if we find pumps that are not properly labeled, all it takes is a phone call. Let's put the stations, and the state, on notice that we are going to insist that they follow the law on this. It isn't going to make it any easier to find ethanol free gasoline, but at least we will know what we are buying.

Stephen Benjamin, director
NCDA&CS Standards Division
919-733-3313

Here is the link to the press release.

And a link to the act.

Finally the link the amendments enacted by the senate.

Copper

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
If the AG department is on board the labeling will start showing up when the pump permits are renewed. But that is only done annualy and all have the same date in most states. Similar to elevator permits...all here expire August 1st. Of course not all stickers on gas station pumps can be changed at the same time. Like any state agency, collecting the fees is the priority.

Here in FL the max ethanol content supposedly went up to 15% in January. All gas pump stickers stil read 10% or less...Or maximum of 10%.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If the AG department is on board the labeling will start showing up when the pump permits are renewed. But that is only done annualy and all have the same date in most states. Similar to elevator permits...all here expire August 1st. Of course not all stickers on gas station pumps can be changed at the same time. Like any state agency, collecting the fees is the priority.

Here in FL the max ethanol content supposedly went up to 15% in January. All gas pump stickers stil read 10% or less...Or maximum of 10%.
I was noticing that when I filled up the other day that BP has an ethanol sticker on their pumps.

Correct me if I am wrong - but wasn't it said that ethanol dried out seals?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Keep in mind that ethanol is basically a form of alcohol, it's highly corrosive and it actually " holds " water in suspension ( proven in Europe by mechanics to rust out the bottom of gas tanks ). Ethanol contains less energy than actual gas, which translates to frequent trips to the pump. And yes, it does not work well with older vehicles based on the rubber and alumium gas lines used on older vehicles. Ethanol is MORE expensive to produce than gas, and costs more on the common market.

So why use Ethanol? Long story with a mix of a " promise " of cleaner air ( but they are cutting down the rain forrest in S.A. to grow sugar for ethanol, the loss of those trees will increase global warming ), and the subsidized farmers/corporate money given by the government. It is as always, about " money " to be had, with the backing of cleaner air?

In any case, my 1987 V8 El Camino HATES ethanol, and I get really bad mileage when I'm forced to use 10% ethanol. There is a group who want to see it go to 15%, of course these are backed by those who again see dollar signs.

Lastly, if you live by a lake or large body of water?, you can often find gas without the added ethanol near the water. Isn't it strange that the water people don't want MTBE or ethanol residue in the water? Think about it?

In newer vehicles, most of the companies knew ethanol was coming, so they developed better componets to handle the requirement.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Stephen, If you're close to South Carolina some stations are carrying and advertising 100% gasoline.
Fords fuel Near the state line in Loris and in North Myrtle Beach. The e-thing is killing our fuel systems. Dale

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
When ethanol first appeared on the East coast,in the marinas. many boat engines had big problems. And the ethanol was affecting fiberglass tanks in older boats, by diluting the resins and having that mess go through the engines.
The marinas around here don't have ethanol in their gas, and likely most marinas are that way now. Boating Magazine had articles with pictures of trashed engines back then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts