El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I keep going on about my hammered in floor pans, but it is only becuase I haven't done much else on my 75 rust bucket rain collector in some time...and I keep getting conflicting information on steel.

For little patches, sounds like 22 g is all good. But I went all out and went for the 18 g becuase the there was more hole than floor. After much sweat and almost evicted...neighbors were pretty patient overall about the hammerin, but now I am hearing the the pans to begin with are 20 g.

So, does anyone know what guage the originals are? Just wonderin.

Also, is it true that you can't drill out a broken off bleeder valve on the calipers? Dodged a bullet with a torch to loosen em up, but if I hadn't...I'd like to know for next time.
:-D

Thanks - this site is great.
P.S. brake fluid flushed, no parts needed, and now I have "stop" as well as "go."

·
1,867 Posts
I had a bleed breke off on me before. I used a "easy out" that worked well.

·
Banned
881 Posts
You probably could get a bleeder out with an easy out but why bother. If the bleeder was in that bad of a shape probably so is the rest of the caliper. I've broken several bleeders both in front calipers and rear wheel cylinders. I usually just go out and buy another one. A rebuilt front caliper is under $20 and rear wheel cylinders are about the same price. Looking at it from a time standpoint it's quicker to just swap in a rebuilt and let the guy at the rebuilding shop worry about getting the broken bleeder out.

My $.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts