El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to fit this truck tranny in my El Camino but could it be done "easily"

Like the title says, I am NOT going to try to jam this transmission in my Elky. I was out taking the bellhousing off the SM465 Muncie that was left over after taking my engine out of an old truck. I'm going to use the bellhousing to help mount my engine block to a skid so I can transport it easier, the bellhousing is broken anyways. The transmission still rotates freely, kinda surprising given that there was no oil in it and it has been outside without the shifter installed since november.

My question is with the transmission being a top mounted shifter how close would the leaver be to the factory floor opening. It is hard to guess just by looking at it. Anyone done it? I only found one post on this subject from 2006 and it was more so suggesting that the guy try to find something else. A 6.55:1 first gear would make a rev limiter much more important than they already are.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
That shifter would come out under the dash.
It is only about 6" from the rear face of the bell.

No way would that thing go into a car without some serious cutting
73-87 trucks with this trans had a different floor with this trans
about 4" taller than the AT truck floors-----and a big ol wide tunnel as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My cousin ran a super mod 4x4 pull truck for a few years. He built a blown 499CI that spun to 9,500rpm. It took a few tries to find all the right parts to keep it together at those speeds. Put out around 1,500hp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts