El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 79 out for it's weekly drive and after stopping at the store I went to start it nothing happened.
I tried to jump it but still nothing.Battery is fully charged.Headlights and dash lights work. Wipers and fan do not come on when key is on.
On the way there the only thing I had on was the heater fan.

There is no voltage at the solenoid when the key is turned to the run start position.
So I figure it's the ignition switch on the column.
Everything I read said there are 2 screws attaching it to the column with the dimmer switch piggy backed to it. So I lower the column and remove the 2 screws but the switch will not come out. It appears the switch is riveted to the column. Anyone ever see this? Now it appears I will have to completely remove the coulmn to get drill out this rivet. Does anyone have complete instructions on removing the column?

Thanks

· Premium Member
852 Posts
Ive been a GM tech since the 70's and never saw this. My 79 is bolted to the column under the dimmer switch. Take a good look to be sure youre looking at rivets, not saying its impossible, but Ive never seen it.
Good luck

· Premium Member
852 Posts
Also if you want to be sure its the switch, take your new replacement witch, unplug the old one on the column, and actuate the new one with a screwdriver to make sure it starts. column removal isnt necc for an ig sw replacement

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, column removal wouldn't be necessary if the only thing holding switch were the 2 screws but it's not. So i:dontknow:f it comes to that does anyone have complete instruction on removing the column?

· Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,394 Posts
..I'D check the switch with the meter before pulling the steering coulum out,what about the fuseable links...?:dontknow::beer:

· Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,394 Posts
Also if you want to be sure its the switch, take your new replacement witch, unplug the old one on the column, and actuate the new one with a screwdriver to make sure it starts. column removal isnt necc for an ig sw replacement
..what he said...:agreed:

· Registered
2,102 Posts
dont forget to check the nuetral safty switch as well.your start wire is the 12 gauge purple one on the switch.jump the purple to any big red wire comeing off of the ign switch and it should crank if not try jumpering the two purple wires on the nuetral switch if still no crank check to make sure there is power at the switch.if that is good jump it at the starter and see if it cranks.you did check your cables

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.