El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I can now call myself an Elcamino owner .. well sorta its not an elcamino its a cabalerro. I cant decide if its a 78 or 79 cuz the guy who sold it to me briefly said it was a 78 but comparing it to other 78's it looks longer or sumthing so maybe a 79? i dunno oh well its a definate upgrade from my last car a 1981 camaro what a heap. im taking the engine from the camaro (305) and im going to rebuild it put some nice toys in it to give it some more power and also im going to put 3 and 1/4 inch dual straight pipes for some good loudness i havent decided what tires or rims to put on yet mainly cuz i dont know what the biggest size of rims or tires can fit on the elcamino (cabalerro) anyways i will keep you all updated on when shes ready for the road so untill then i need to think of a decent name for her

Dan

ps.
its silver by the way

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Elky_DeeT said:
....anyways i will keep you all updated on when shes ready for the road so untill then i need to think of a decent name for her

ps.
its silver by the way
Call it Silver Dan! It was good enough for the Lone Ranger's ride.

Welcome to ECC / NECOA Dan, glad you dropped in and decided to join us. GMC / Chevrolet "You say Tomato I say Tomato" (Sort of gets lost in the written form doesn't it?!) :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now that im officialy an el camino owner i guess i am now allowed to call it an Ekly right ? haha i called it that the other day when talking to a friend and they laughed at me ... it probly cuz he drives a ford ranger .. an el camino wannabe .. ive noticed mainly poeple who drive trucks really dont like the el camino maybe it cuz thier jealos that the elky looks better then thier truck

Dan

·
1,867 Posts
It's still a elky . 78 & 79 are exactlly the same except for grill & taillights. Welcome to a great site. Congrates on a great choice of veichle.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Elky_DeeT said:
now that im officialy an el camino owner i guess i am now allowed to call it an Ekly right ? haha i called it that the other day when talking to a friend and they laughed at me ... it probly cuz he drives a ford ranger .. an el camino wannabe .. ive noticed mainly poeple who drive trucks really dont like the el camino maybe it cuz thier jealos that the elky looks better then thier truck
Dan
Here is an intresting quote:
Car and Driver, April, 1978
Testing the new "down-sized" 1978 El Camino:
"Flush the image. The new El Camino is so good as a car that once you've hammered some astounded Z-car driver in an on-ramp race, you'll never think of it as a Saturday-afternoon fertilizer hauler again. The down-sizing and re-designing that went into the rest of the GM A-body (intermediate) line this year also benefits the El Camino, maybe even to a greater degree than the cars."

"More than its 112-mph top speed, though, the El Camino impresses its driver by simply riding and handling superbly. No truck anyone in the C/D offices had ever driven responded the way the plush Super Sport we tested did;"

·
1,867 Posts
Pete, Do you have a copy of that complete acticle? I would love to see it.

J

·
0 Posts
Welcome, and it takes awhile to call your new found love of your life an elky. My wife and a few friends laughed too until they say the look in my eye. Don't tease me about my baby. Most truck drivers, especialy the F__d word ones don't have a clue. And they are all elky's just a different flavor of name. That's the greatness of our organization we help not hurt everyone. (Watch out for Ernie G., he's a great wealth of information and I wish he lived next door but look before you post. Hey Ernie how'd you fix those door hinge pins?) ha. We are a class act of drivers.
Good luck with the project. I always new Elvis had class. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts