El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 16 months sober, for which I am extremely grateful. But I have gained 30 pounds since I became sober. I eat ice cream with crushed cookies and chocolate syrup almost every night. I eat healthy and lightly during the day, but I really look forward to my "treat" at night. I know that I have traded my vodka for ice cream, and I need to stop! Does anyone have any advise or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I too am addicted to Ice Cream and if its in the house it won't be for long. My wife started buying the low calorie fudgesicle bars at Costco and it really does help. Yogurt or pudding cups are also good alternatives. Mix fruit in the yogurt for a sweet snack
But the best thing is to resist buying ice cream and bringing it home.

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
Im addicted to ice cream to. I make my own. I use 3 quarts of cream and add 120 frozen cherries or 80 frozen strawberries. I really try to load it with fruit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have 16 months sober, for which I am extremely grateful. But I have gained 30 pounds since I became sober. I eat ice cream with crushed cookies and chocolate syrup almost every night. I eat healthy and lightly during the day, but I really look forward to my "treat" at night. I know that I have traded my vodka for ice cream, and I need to stop! Does anyone have any advise or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
You need to lose that weight because obesity almost always leads to diabetes. I love ice cream too but seldom eat it after I found out what sugar does to your arteries. When you eat sugar, real sweet fruit, white rice, white potatoes, anything with white flour in, alcohol (converts to sugar) it causes a blood sugar spike. That spike causes the pancreas to produce too much insulin and insulin left with no sugar to react with damages your artery walls. LDL cholesterol deposits on the damaged areas to to protect them. If your doctor didn't tell you that find another doctor.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
-That spike causes the pancreas to produce too much insulin and insulin left with no sugar to react with damages your artery walls.
-LDL cholesterol deposits on the damaged areas to to protect them. If your doctor didn't tell you that find another doctor.
never heard these two things other than you need to raise your HDL and lower your LDL

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you can summon up the willpower, only indulge once a week, then your ice cream treat will really be a treat. If you have ice cream every night, it is no longer a "treat".

·
Registered
372 Posts
never heard these two things other than you need to raise your HDL and lower your LDL
Exercise will raise your HDL. My LDL level is high but so is my HDL so I'm not worried about it and neither is my cardiologist. LDL won't attach to your artery walls unless they have been damaged. Excess insulin and alcohol aren't the only things that will damage your artery walls. Stress/worry, lack of sleep and high blood pressure are also very bad for your arteries (and a lot of other things). I'm not a fanatic about sugar but I avoid it I just had a piece of apple pie with no added sugar but it still has a lot of sugar because apples are so sweet. Artificial sweeteners have the same bad effects on your body as real sugar.

·
Registered
218 Posts
8 years sober and I have lost about 60 pounds over the last year or so. The only thing I changed was eating less and exercising more. I got a bike, take walks (even a short one after dinner - a mile or so) and try to walk to places I used to drive. I do try to eat more salads than I used to, but otherwise nothing has changed but the portion size.

Congratulations on the 16 months, that's a really big deal and something to be proud of. A couple extra pounds is a small price to pay for the gift you're giving yourself by staying sober.

For what it's worth I practically lived on jolly ranchers and Werthers my first two years sober.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 17 years sober... maybe a sugar free hard candy or gum. I still go through phases like cookies and milk or cake and ice cream or chocolate and chips. And I try and exercise. Staying sober is an everyday adventure but rewarding so keep up the great work!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on staying sober. Like you when I got sober 5-21-80 I started buying a half gallon of ice cream on the way home from meetings. I progressed to the point of buying 5quart buckets and killing them in 2 sittings. I realized that I have an addictive personality. So it’s either feast or famine. I quit buying ice cream over 2 years ago.STAY SOBER, the rest will fall in line

·
Registered
3 Posts
congratulations, I stopped drinking heavily about a year and a half ago. put on about 50 pounds in 3 months. luckily for me i just shifted alcohol to caffeine, but im a fan of bang which is sugar free. still bad, but not really a fan of sweets. scootertrash. that's really interesting I hadn't tought of it that way. I was vodka redbull, then vodka monster which was the worst of everything in my mind, then vodka and bang which hid a lot of the vodka flavor, so I guess I kept my habit and have been decreasing sugar intake, now to kick caffeine to a workable level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts