El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite form and sanction of motorsports racing? And why ?

I am a retired dragracer so my interest is mostly NHRA events, with a second place interest in NASCAR. I love the speed and am fascinated by the technology that makes these machines so powerful and beautiful.
I can enjoy watching any racing including "pulling", but dragging is #1 for me.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I like the aussie supercars.I think it's great racing and the cars could almost be from the show room floor. Also enjoy vintage racing when all the cars were different. I'm tired of nascar, indy,f1where all the cars have to confrom to the same bodies and engines. I loved the days of 6 wheel tyrell f1 cars and nascar when mechanics tried all sorts of new and different ways to win. It seems these days it's all about the driver and not the race car, I guess i'm old school but for me it was all about the car.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
It was hands down NASCAR until February 2001........just can't get all into it like i used to.
Happy Birthday, Dale Earnhardt Sr.

·
Registered
140 Posts
x2 on the aussie supercar V8 (heard they were coming to new track being built in Austin??:dontknow:)

Like NHRA and the Rolex Sports car series too. Nascar has been putting me to sleep the last few years - except at Watkins Glen and the couple of other road courses they run.
Yes, they are building a circuit in Austin. It's called The Circuit of the Americas and they are hosting an F1 race in the third week of November. The 18th I believe it is. And the V8SC is trying to come to the US and they were considering come to COTA.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Been watching NASCAR form the age of eight Darrell Waltrip was my man also liked Harry Gant but within the last five or so years they have destroyed what racing is all about. But if you really want a rush you have to go to the Winter Nationals down here and for anybody that hasn't been sorry It will blow your socks off if not your ear drums with out plugs. Just look at John Force at the end of a race that's pure adrenaline and G force.:nanawrench:

I have been with Jeff Burton sense DW retired but don't watch it much anymore.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robert, I raced many times at Commerce. Nice track but short shutdown area. Dragbikes need a gentle hand on the brakes at 170 and faster or you can land on yer face!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
i kind of enjoy the rally car races and the desert bajas. the things they put those cars and trucks through are insane.

I haven't been live but those guys probably do it for fun I can't see it being the money their crazy just like Super Bikes or Cart in the rain.:nopic:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
NASCAR but it gets worse every race.

It seems to be more NASCAR/WWE now:dontknow:

Rules subject to change depending on who they want to win.

Prediction-Jr. will win 'Dega next week. Its his turn.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I haven't been live but those guys probably do it for fun I can't see it being the money their crazy just like Super Bikes or Cart in the rain.:nopic:
Pics you say?? Well, one of my hobbies is automotive photography, so you hear you go!! A few pics of the ALMS in Lime Rock, CT and a few from Grand Am at NJ Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ. Unfortunately no drag or rally races.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I saw a show yesterday and it was 11/13 year old boy's and a girl or two racing replica Nascar's but smaller going 105mph on a good size banked track. Looked like a great dad and kid thing to do. One kid made the comment I'm thirteen without a drivers license driving 105 by myself.:nanawrench:

Great pic's Brett9917

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,580 Posts
From the time I had a driver's license, I chased oval Track racing of about every type, Dirt and Asphalt from 1/4 mile bullrings to Superspeedways. The most exciting form of competition IMO, was Winged Sprint Cars on dirt. Back in '86, a few friends and I decided to step out of the bleachers, buy a used Sprint Car and get dirty. It has been a lot of hard work and many long hours, but lot of fun too. Now that we're older with less free time and even less energy, we don't run weekly anymore. Unfortunately, competing for that long has quelled my interest in being a race fan. Whether your car was running first or last, there's something special about watching a race with a car you set up yourself.

Here's a pic from the mid 90's, many grey hairs ago.

Bill

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a big nascar fan but just hasnt been the same without that big black chevy in there anymore.but i do apreciate all forms of raceing though

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone seen the diesel dragsters and funny cars? Very cool and fast. They now have their own sanctioning body.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Back in 74 I started circle track asphalt back when NASCAR had the regular bodies and you could actually tell what car was what. Started in hobby stock and then late model. Costs, family and job kept from going farther. Still watch NASCAR. When I can. Really liked Cale Yarborough though. Now more of Matt Kenseth or Ryan Newman fan.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts