El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research on this subject and everyone seems to be in agreement transg0 shift kits are the way to go. For my Tranny they make 2 shift kits one is just a shift kit and the other is referred to as a performance shift kit. I'm looking mostly for people who have had experience with either or both. I'm not wanting something thats going to snap your head back when you've got it in drive and are just going down to the grocery store as this is my daily driver. But I want something that when I've got my foot into it the tires are going to chirp between gears. The Tranny this is going in was rebuilt about 3 years ago and they put in all of the goodies when it was rebuilt larger boost valve. Corvette servo basically the upgraded rebuild kit. Also looking at it the Normal shift kit looked easy to install the performance one has drill bits with it and a lot more parts. As someone who is very good at following directions with mechanical items I've never been in a transmission before is it advisable to do the performance one or am I trying to do something that is better left to professionals?

Anyone reading this please feel free to answer parts of this or none of it. I"m looking for your opinions on this since I trust all of your opinions.

Thanks,
Jerry

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I'm at the stage where it's time to put in the shift kit that I bought.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-200-4r-hd2 is the link to the kit.

I've done a lot of things on my car, but most new things have been under supervision of someone who knew what they were doing. If I do this kit myself it will be without training wheels and it has me a little nervous. Several places in the directions it says things like DO NOT USE THIS KIT UNLESS YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL! etc. I know enough about Tranny's to be dangerous and there are a lot of options in the kit. any tips, hints, or even warnings from Tranny Mike for example to not do this myself? I'm very good at following maticulous directions and the company seems to have lots of videos that I have watched but I'm still nervous. Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jerry

G

·
Im using a B&M stage 2 but the TransGo performance kit is what u want. With mine,it wont snap as hard as long as I adjust the modulator on my 350c. When I first got mine,it snapped so hard that change came out the ashtray.Go with the performance kit,and drive it easy.

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My main thing is though as a novice is it safe for me to do this myself? Or should I find a tranny guy to do it? The drill bits included in the kit are what scare me more than anything.

G

·
My main thing is though as a novice is it safe for me to do this myself? Or should I find a tranny guy to do it? The drill bits included in the kit are what scare me more than anything.
I wouldnt do it. Take it to a trans shop. Theres so many springs and stuff in the box that its scary. I thought the same,but decided to let a pro do it. It only takes an hour worth of labor.

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input Steel. I'm going to call around to Tranny shops later today and see what kind of money I would be looking at. Wish I was in Cali I'd taked it to Tranny Mike. Any of you guys that live over here on the space coast have any suggestions of where to go? When I had the tranny rebuilt walker Transmissions on Elliss did the job. I really didn't have anything good or bad to say about them.

· TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Is this a 2004R or 700R4? If you can follow directions as well as you've said, you can do either one. Read the entire shift kit instructions before you begin. I wish I would have seen this sooner because the Superior Industries stage 2 kit is much simpler and feels great(better for a novice). If you run into any problems don't hesitate to message me and I'll help you out. Don't let the drills scare you, most of the drilling is of the separator plate between the case and valve body, you'll see. :beer:

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a 200-4r and I am going to watch the video a few more times. This tranny was rebuilt with all of the upgraded components about 4 years ago. I will even call summit and see what the chances are of them letting me return the kit that I bought. You never know till you ask. I'm going to look at the superior stage 2 kit and see where I can find it.
I really appreciate the offer of help Mike, I will definitely pick your brain if I run into trouble.

Thanks all,
Jerry

· TrannyMike
2,807 Posts

Here's a link to the shift kit I'm talking about. It's much easier for a novice to install and works very well. I run one in my car. It's not a stage 2 but equivalent in the Superior brand. I used the term stage 2 just so you knew it was the performance version. It's actually a Superior K200-4R-HP :beer:

http://www.superior-transmission.com/Product_Page.cfm?ID=175

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're awesome Mike, if it has your seal of approval I'm in. I'm going to contact Summit and see if they'll take my Transgo kit back and I'll purchase this one. Either that or I'll just ebay the transgo one. If I go with that superior kit is there anything else I should get along with it? I already have a Hughes extra deep pan to put on. I know its not a ton but I'm going to have 430hp on motor from my 350 that we built. I just wanted to throw that in to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Also 3:50 ford 9" posi. This is my daily driver but I will take it to the track for Necoa meets etc.

Thanks again for all of the info.

Jerry

· TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
You're awesome Mike, if it has your seal of approval I'm in. I'm going to contact Summit and see if they'll take my Transgo kit back and I'll purchase this one. Either that or I'll just ebay the transgo one. If I go with that superior kit is there anything else I should get along with it? I already have a Hughes extra deep pan to put on. I know its not a ton but I'm going to have 430hp on motor from my 350 that we built. I just wanted to throw that in to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Also 3:50 ford 9" posi. This is my daily driver but I will take it to the track for Necoa meets etc.

Thanks again for all of the info.

Jerry
Hey Jerry,
Sorry it took all day to get back at ya. This kit doesn't come with valve body gaskets or the governor cover gasket. Those gaskets aren't available at your average parts store. If you have a local Transtar Industries warehouse they'll have those gaskets. You want a filter kit too, which is a filter and pan gasket set. To play it safe get 2 pan gaskets. If you end up having to pull the pan when you are done to mess with the governor you'll be glad you bought the extra gasket.

If you have problems acquiring the VB gaskets or governor gasket I'll get them and send them to you. You may not need the governor gasket, but I wouldn't chance not having it in case the original one tears or cracks when you pull the cover off. 2004R's are tranny's that tend to upshift early and downshift late. That's a simple problem to fix by removing one of the governor springs and chucking it. I had to do that with mine. Shift timing is adjusted by working with the governor, not the cable. The cable on a 2004R is more for pressure adjustments. Let me know if you need more help or advice. :beer:

PS: This kit can handle the power you mentioned.

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike you're a lifesaver with this. I've got all of the information and Summit is awesome and therefore willing to take the kit I bought back for a full refund. I'm working on finding a local shop that sells all of the parts. I'll let you know if I can't find one though but I'm sure I'll be able to find them.

Thank you again for all of the help

Jerry

· Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Not to rain on your parade,but I had a Transgo kit w/corvette type serv and finally had to replace the valve body with a stock one. We left the Corv.servo in at Tranny Mikes suggestion and it has a nice firm shift. Before it would just simply snap your neck off ! The shop I've dealt with for years,not the shop that installed the orig. kit, said they would never recommend a kit in the 2004-R . I know Tranny Mike has good luck with it so I would follow his advice. I would never put another kit in a street car ! WP

· TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Mike, There is no doubt there were idiots in the equation when they installed it. Thanks to you its just great now. Have a great Christmas season Mike. Wayne
Cooool man, LOL! I'm glad it all worked out for you. Merry Christmas to you too! :beer:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.