El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news doesn't directly affect the El Camino, but I wonder what the unintended consequences of this mandate will be?

The synopsis of the announcement is that all new cars and light trucks will have to meet a 54.5 mpg target by 2025. You can read the entire article here for all the fluff touting why this is such a great idea.

Copper

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wonder if it will be mandatory to own one of these vehicles. And if you don't buy one, will you be taxed accordingly? (Yes, Like health ins.)

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I wonder how many square feet of sail it will take to move my Elky in a light breeze? If I add an optional foot pedal/crank setup I might come close to meeting the standards. But, wait a minute...I"ll be 83 by then. They can KMA.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Eventually only the government will have ready access to motorfuel. I am going to start designing a streamlined rickshaw. You can go anywhere with one if you have enough rice to eat.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eventually only the government will have ready access to motorfuel. I am going to start designing a streamlined rickshaw. You can go anywhere with one if you have enough rice to eat.

Well ... that brings a whole new connotation to the term "Ricer".

Copper

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Ever ask yourself why you never see a fat asian?..They use pedal power. Our illustrious non-leading leader would have us scrap our rides for bikes if he could. That way we could leave our natural resources intact for the chinese when they finally win the big Monopoly game we are playing with them just to stay afloat.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with all these pie-in-the-sky ideas is they are hatched by people who have no idea what it is like living in "fly-over" country.

Take electric cars ... I have no problem with electric cars. But until they can go more than 70 or 75 miles on a charge they simple won't work for me. My commute is 70 miles round trip. That would be like me leaving for work with 1.9 gallons of gas in the tank and betting my car will hit it's EPA rated mileage in order for me to get home. I already have enough stress in my life, thank you very much. Not to mention I am philosophically opposed to paying $35,000 for a $20,000 car.

55 mpg from a truck? Hope you don't have a big/heavy boat to pull ... or horses ... or a farm.

Copper

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Much ado about nothing IMO.

The new standard applies to the corporate average of all the vehicles a manufacturer produces, not individual cars. It requires model years (MY) 2017-2025 light-duty vehicles, and the Program’s projected achievement of an emissions level of 163 gram/mile fleet average CO2, which would be equivalent to 54.5 miles per gallon if the automakers were to meet this CO2 level solely through fuel economy improvements.(1)

It does not mean that cars will have to have a 54.5 mpg rating by that date, though that would be certainly one way of achieving the rating.

In fact given the other options the manufacturers have such as credits permitted within the rules, window labels could be as low as 35mpg and still comply. (2)

And of course, nothing set by this president precludes the entire thing being changed by Congress or future administrations some of which propose eliminating the EPA in its entirety let alone just a few of its rules.

(1) http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/cafe/2017-25_CAFE_Final_Rule.pdf
(2) http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/clean_vehicles/Translating-Standards-into-On-Road.pdf

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I don't take all this too seriously. It is 99% political rhetoric designed to impress ignorant people for their vote.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't take all this too seriously. It is 99% political rhetoric designed to impress ignorant people for their vote.

Agreed. After all, what are they going to do if they can't hit the targets ... stop selling cars in the United States? I just find it humorous, in a dark sort of way, that they actually think they can hit these targets in just over 10 year. If we are going to mandate something like this, why don't just mandate Warp Drive too while we are at it.

I admit I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole with the truck statement, but I still think it is going to be tough to meet these targets. The CAFE average went from 17.2 in 1979 to 24.1 in 2011, a rise of just 6.9 MPG in 32 year. Yet we have to go from 24.1 now to 54.5, a 30.4 MPG increase, in 13 years? Unless they can make cars considerably cleaner than they are now, the emission reductions are going to have to come, mostly, from burning less fuel.

The most fuel efficient car I can think of is the VW Polo Diesel which gets about 70 mpg. In order to meet the CAFE standards manufactures are going to have to sell a $)(* load of polo type cars to offset truck sales unless there is a breakthrough in technology somewhere down the line.

You can see all the numbers here.

Copper

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Agreed. After all, what are they going to do if they can't hit the targets ... stop selling cars in the United States? I just find it humorous, in a dark sort of way, that they actually think they can hit these targets in just over 10 year. If we are going to mandate something like this, why don't just mandate Warp Drive too while we are at it.
I'm all for mandating warp drive, think of the jobs!!!! :yell: You may very well be right it may be difficult to meet that standard. I'm not so sure but in the end it really doesnt matter, I guarantee you if it turns out to be impossible or just too dificult, it will magically lower in no time.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I dont think me and O'Bama would be to gooda' friends:poke:

I get 1/6 of 54 mpg, i get about 8.4mpg avg right now. Im working on a new carburetor but still at most of 15mpg..... Yeah i dont think so.

We could always hide the horses in the barn of you know what i mean:poke:

I can't handle all 72hp of a prius:beer:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm all for mandating warp drive, think of the jobs!!!! :yell: You may very well be right it may be difficult to meet that standard. I'm not so sure but in the end it really doesnt matter, I guarantee you if it turns out to be impossible or just too dificult, it will magically lower in no time.

Warp Drive ... There is probably a reason why it's not a good idea, but I can't think of it at the moment. "Honey ... I had to go to Saturn office today, but I am leaving now and will be home in 30 seconds."

* * *​

What I wish would happen is the feds let the market work it out. I might like a micro car that gets a zillion miles to the gallon. Put one on sale and let me try it out.

But when the government starts telling me that I have to buy a micro car that gets a zillion miles to the gallon ... I can suddenly think of a 100 reason why I don't want one.

A Missouri Mule has nothing on me ...

Copper

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't handle all 72hp of a prius:beer:

You know how you tend to see the same cars each day on your way to work? My commute to work involves almost all interstate travel, a section of which is posted at 70mph.

Some mornings, as I am motoring along at my standard 75mph, a Prius passes me like I am sitting still. They have to be doing at least 85 or 90 mph.

Now I ask you ... if you are going to drive like that, why are you driving a Prius? :dontknow:

Copper

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well Obama is an ass and I approve this message!
Also...environmental nut jobs and their false religion are to blame too.

If people knew the truth that oil is a never ending product since it is a by product of the thermo nuclear core and seeps up into crevices and caverns for us to suck out. It is taken from very far down in solid rock...it is not fossil fuel from dead dinos and plants as everyone has been taught and believed(remember dino bones are found all over the world in 1 ft to 6 ft of dirt....not under solid rocks) so they can control the prices and control out lives. It is a scam....the biggest in the world. Get the truth out...research it!:poke:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts