El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there is much debate on which is the better upgrade. they involve H4,LED,etc. which lens backing projects the best view(not too high,not too low, not blinding oncoming traffic,etc.). in another recent thread i think it was "LED lighting" i saw that video. so i am set on the H4, wanted a little auxiliary color and decided would go with a yellow but, couldnt make up my mind on how it was displayed (curved on both sides, boxed or illuminated from the back) so i'll just take it plain. and yes i wanted to have glass and no problems with it meeting DOT. what do you think of these 2 finalist?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Be sure to get a ceramic plug harness/relay kit also whichever you decide on.

Reactions: Lenny Carey

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, i was going to ask about replacing the OEM harness with the aftermarket w/relay cause i notice the Dixie kit comes with and the octane doesnt. Is the ceramic plug style the usual aftermarket kind or would i have to make sure it specifies the ceramic plug?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I would make sure it's ceramic because of heat. Those aftermarket lights usually put out a lot more heat which can melt the plastic ones.

Reactions: Lenny Carey

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, i see, that does make sense. so for the Octane lights they offer the ceramic harness with 2 relays and the dixie kit doesnt say they are ceramic but they look as such, but seems the harness only comes with 1 relay. I like the style of the octane lens and the fact the harness comes with 2 relays.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,590 Posts
i know there is much debate on which is the better upgrade. they involve H4,LED,etc. which lens backing projects the best view(not too high,not too low, not blinding oncoming traffic,etc.). in another recent thread i think it was "LED lighting" i saw that video. so i am set on the H4, wanted a little auxiliary color and decided would go with a yellow but, couldnt make up my mind on how it was displayed (curved on both sides, boxed or illuminated from the back) so i'll just take it plain. and yes i wanted to have glass and no problems with it meeting DOT. what do you think of these 2 finalist?

Toy , I like the the 4x6 crystal H-4 headlights from E-Bay the best of the two . They look and the discription sounds like the one`s I have had on my recently sold 87 for a number of years . I had the shop install them and they had to do a minimum of fitting . Good to see the harnesses are now readily available as I had the shop install ones I had found online . These harnesses are very important to lessen the electric draw on the headlight switch and the price is too low not to use them . You are smart to not go with the ones that have soo much light that they are offensive to other drivers . They are DOT compliant .They provide ample clear light above what my old Halogen lights did . I did not go with any of the hay low effects or other colors out of personal taste . When in the off position , the blue colored bulb gives a nice bluish reflection .

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Just the harness relay kit will make more light with stock bulbs.

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Lenny/Sean! the light kit and wiring harness on Ebay, looks like they are sold by Octane Lighting and both come with free shipping. they are the same $$ on the Octane Lighting website, but Octane charges a " Shipping cost:$15.00(Administrator Fixed fee $15.00. Looks like Ebay it is. First though i gotta get the A/C hooked up, ordered the compressor, condensor. fittings,hoses, etc. they all are here, so need to custom fit the hose lengths and then get them crimped, then pull the vacuum, then the charge. i cant do this and see the eye candy(lighting kit) sitting on the table...to much of a distraction :ROFLMAO:.
Sean, with your comment about the harness w/stock lights. if i can remember when i do start changing out the lights. i'll take a pic of the lighting beam w/ the OEM setup against the garage door, then one with the harness hooked up and then with the H4 w/ harness. And see what the 3 setups look like compared to each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts