El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ello again knowledgeable people of elcamino central. i have noticed that for the past year now, that one or more of my wheels (im hoping thats what it is and not one or more spindles) is making a "rattling-is tapping" sound after a short time on the road. I really dont know how to explain it, its not a full rattle, but there is a slight click sound, like when you have a piece of gravel stuck in your tread, but a deeper sound, and the rattle is best compared to a baby rattle when its dropped on carpet...At first i thought one of my lugnuts came loose and fell into the hubcap and was bouncing around, but i checked all of them and they were secure...i wish i could explain it better, but if anyone has had this happen, then please speak up, its starting to REAAAAALY get on my nerves. like i said before, i first get on the road, and after about three or five minutes it starts, itll rattle once or twice, then stop...then again, eventually becoming continuous...the owner of the truck (my grandad who is tone deaf and cant hear it) heard my description and said if the tires still on then its nothing big, but id like opinions from yall if i could... thany yall in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have the same sound, check where your exhaust pipes are vibrating against your frame or suspension somewhere:poke:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
U joints and wheel bearings and also check the brake pads to see if they are still attached to the calipers.These are just possibilities for what you discribe.
If it is a wheel bearing it could have a broken cage so you will need to take the bearings out to visually look them over,checking for play in the wheel will not be enough!You might as well pack the bearings while your at it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One other thing to look at, does it have an anti-sway bar on the front because the bushings wear out and can be replaced with a kit from any auto parts store.

buzz

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Do you have stock ralley wheels?

I've had the chrome trim things on them loosen up and rattle.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
either a clip or emblem is loose on one of the hubcaps. take one off and shake it real good. bet ya find it.

:poke:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts