1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Good info but a little misleading.

I looked at the overall final scores and noticed some of the high scores did well in build quality, price and such but lousy filtration.

If they would recalculate leaving out price it would show a truer result.

For my 'babies' I dont care how much it costs.

Still very good info, THANKS.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's nice to have a link to his clear description of the methods.
Agree with you on price. Can probably copy and paste the table into Excel to recalculate/factor out any variables.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Some filters I've cut apart, with my filter cutter, to check for metal particles, have so much filter media packed in them that flow cannot be as good as with less media. And on a Chevy, if the oil is cold, and there's just too much media to flow through from being tightly wrapped in there, the by-pass valve in the adapter on the block will let some un-filtered oil flow through. Seems like there's only so much space for the element in the can, so maybe there is a happy medium for flow versus restriction, by having not too much media in the element, but enough to assure collection of foreign material & debris etc....
That chart for oil filters certainly shows a wide variety of specs on how a filter is built.
Interesting study that was done there though....

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Some filters I've cut apart, with my filter cutter, to check for metal particles, have so much filter media packed in them that flow cannot be as good as with less media. And on a Chevy, if the oil is cold, and there's just too much media to flow through from being tightly wrapped in there, the by-pass valve in the adapter on the block will let some un-filtered oil flow through. Seems like there's only so much space for the element in the can, so maybe there is a happy medium for flow versus restriction, by having not too much media in the element, but enough to assure collection of foreign material & debris etc....
That chart for oil filters certainly shows a wide variety of specs on how a filter is built.
Interesting study that was done there though....

I've heard of filters blowing apart when cold for that very reason. Good point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts