El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fresh 350 install came with the dip stick tube issue I posted earlier, but as it turns out, that is not the oil leak problem.
I put in the new dip stick tube yesterday and had to pound it in and it is tight. I'm sure it is not leaking from there.
Rear main seals are new so should not be from there.
got a new oil pressure sender, did not use a oil indicator switch. Should not be from there but I've seen those issues in the past?

An ideas?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Wish I could help but I have the same problem as you. I have a new 350 and had to find a dip stick tube that would fit. Pounded it in but still have an oil leak. It will be interesting to see what the other members have to say. Valve covers are not leaking, I just can't find the source of the leak. Good luck !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
Clean da motor and dry it then watch it for fresh trace of oil. Do you see anything on ground? What/where is it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try to clean it and put it on a lift tomorrow, running to see what I can see???

It looks like it has been sprayed underneath with oil, and it drips over a pretty wide area, not just one spot because I guess when I'm driving, it just gets scattered.

going up interstate, after pretty warm, it starts throwing out a cloud, then when you stop, some smoke comes from underneath, a little out the engine compartment but mostly under the truck.
Then when idling, you don't see any smoke.
I've got the cooling issue so when I'm going down the interstate, the temp goes down to 100-150, I guess if it was hotter, it would smoke more?

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
It's being scattered by fan at higher rpm. Hopefully at idle you can see leak better.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that post JJ but my block has the fuel pump delete. Elect. fuel pump. '99 to 03 or so vortec block.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Valve covers? If they are chrome they won't seal worth a crap unless the Crome is removed from the gasket area. Just my .2 cents

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No on the chrome, center bolt factory valve covers

·
Registered
581 Posts
Intake manifold at the ends..or front seal timing cover..:secret:

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
did you rebuild this motor your self or is it a crate motor? there are two different types of oil pan gaskets. one has a a thin front seal and one has a thicker front seal. when i rebuilt mine it called for a the "thick" pan gasket and i used the thin one... it puked oil from between the pan and timing chain cover

not my pic but this is the area i am talking about.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
Um, who did you have adding oil? :poke:...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for input/questions. Yesterday, cleaned it back up and it's either the sending unit or the intake manifold seal, hope to pinpoint it today and get this sucker back on track.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the oil leak. It's the intake, which is frustrating because it was installed with the engine out. New Edlebrock and newly built engine, should not have leaked but it is. Anyway, he is pulling it off to re do it all over again, hopefully by tomorrow, dangit!

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
its not easy to get to, and it wont be pretty, but
if you clean the manifold and block REAL good,
you can smear some RTV in the rear end-seal crack and maybe cure the leak..

let it dry for 24 hrs before you run it.. :texas:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts