El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there guys. To start yesterday i changed my stock intake manifold n carb for an edelbrock carb and intkake manifold. Took the valve covers off to install the maniold. After all installed ran the elco and was dripping a lot off oil. So i put in new valve cover gaskets to replace the thin ones they had and stopped the oil from dripping. Today i was on the highway and noticed smoke coming out from the back of the elco i checked and therse oil all on one of my exhaust pipe coming from the engine to the back anyone know whats going on?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Vic
could be the rear intake seal slipped out,, if you used them? most just use a bead of sealer for that reason..
make sure theres no wires under the valve cover..
retorq the intake..:texas:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
X2 rear of intake seal.

I never use the end seals, just RTV.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
I just fixed my oil leak dripping on my headers from the back on the intake. I did not use the seals just a good bead on RTV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. You guys were right its the back of the intake. The intake seal slipped out. guess i have to reinstall it any idea so i wont have to this.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Like every one said don't use the seal, use RTV. Put down a bead on the front and back sealing surfaces, let it set up a little while, then carefully set intake straight down on it. Check for youtube videos.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
i have cleaned the area off real good with brake/carb cleaner and put a bead of rtv on it,,
from the outside,, work it in with your finger,, let it dry for 24hrs before you run it..
its worth a try sometimes,, if you dont want to pull the intake again..:texas:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts