El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck, how hard can it be to install an oil pan gasket with the motor out?
I have the Fel-Pro 4 piece pan gasket and I lay it out and I see the corners want to over lap? Over laping a cork gasket & rubber gasket don't sound like a good plan?
Trim it? If I over lap it which goes on top?
Also every where I look on line everyone has a different idea as using sealant, when, where, how much.
I DON'T wish to have to do this twice so I want to get it right the first time. I still need to clean the old gasket off the block but I'm wanting to get the pan on and the intake on today before it reaches 105 degrees!!
Ideas?

It does the same in the rear???

Thanks
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Hey DDD felpro makes a nice one peice pan gasket. Dont have a part number or anything like that. But they are available and lots easier amd less messy. Hope this helps :beer:

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
Donny, lay the cork on the block. Then install the rubber into its grooves or tabs which overlaps the little tabs on the cork. The rubber has a notch for the tab to fit into. Use some RTV on both sides of the overlap. Don't go crazy with it or the cork will slide and tear.

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
No just the corners. If you silicone the cork it will squeeze out and tear when you tighten the pan. Have the pan and block surfaces clean and dry. I usually wipe them down with lacquer thinner or equivalent.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Donny, lay the cork on the block. Then install the rubber into its grooves or tabs which overlaps the little tabs on the cork. The rubber has a notch for the tab to fit into. Use some RTV on both sides of the overlap. Don't go crazy with it or the cork will slide and tear.
x2, but I like to use something like Hi Tack, or Indian Head Sealant on cork to keep everything in place.:texas:
You can also use Indian Head on any threaded apps, like head bolts, water pump bolts etc..........

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
i look at it like -the one peice pan gasket is cheaper
cause you dont have to know a bunch of tricks to keep it from leakin,, and re-doin it, in the car,standing on your head
and there reuseable,,
and they have the little anti-crush spacers so the bolts can be tight too..:texas:and no leaky..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Donny,
The 1 piece for me was only around $20 at Advance Auto? This is a small block chevy were talking correct?
I did the rubber/cork first, and it leaked at 2 of the 4 corners. Put the one piece on and not a drip. Mind you I had the engine in, but this 1 piece is idiot proof. Anti crush spacers, extra thick, gasket hold ups, and its reusable! Do it once, do it right. Even though you say, its been done for long by the 4 pieces, also remember its been failed THOUSANDS of times. Theres a reason the 1 piece was developed and used in later model small blocks, because people got tired of wasting money on 4 piece gaskets that would fail. The smallest imperfection in your alignment and application of rtv will cause a leak.

Just my opinion, and the many others who have gone to 1 piece gaskets!
I'd hate to see all this work go bad once you drop it in and it starts leaking

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
i got ten bucks says he did it with the 4 peice gasket set. and i also say its already in the truck.....
vvvvrrrooommmm vvvvvrrrrroooommmmm:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
not a small block, it's a V4, from a Saab. the exhaust will make it sound like it's respectable.

:texas:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
donny im off on sunday and got a full tank of 93 octane. holler if ya need a hand bro

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well we know.... no pics......
Cleaned off

I had to change oil pumps because the pickup tube was long and the RVpn was deeper. The pumps had the same part number so no gain by keeping the same one and swapping tubes
After pan gasket install

Done!!!

Well you know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you KNOW you did something right? Well I didn't get it!!!!:let_it_all_out:
I have a chrome timing cover I think I'll install and when I do I'll pull the pan and get the one piece gasket, (maybe) or I might just throw the dice!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hmmmm something VERY WRONG HERE!!!!
why if this IS a used motor, is it sooooo clean??? not to mention the oil pan is spotless.
no way you got it that clean with out a dip in the tank, you sure you havent been to my other builder in dallas tx?? looks familiar to me....
if it were me id throw a handfull of gravel in the bottom of the pan just for good measure.
seriously looks like you did a great job on the motor :You_Rock:

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only "fool proof" way in my opinion of getting the 4 piece right, is with the hold down bars for the oil pan. Essentially its 2 long bars, one on each rail, on the outside of the oil pan that evenly distributes the bolt torque. I saw these on an 81 350 we had in our schools shop. Seemed legit.

Well Donny, since yours was out and on a stand, I think you probably got it right! Now try doing all that on a 4th gen with the huge ass cross member in the way with oil dripping on your face. :nanawrench:

Hey, their Chevys, they leak.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Donny if you use a chrome timing cover it's a good idea to ruff up the mounting surface so the gasket will stick.
I used a wire wheel on my bench grinder. Don't go nuts, the idea is to just to knock-off the slick surface so the gasket will stick.
PS, I have a chrome oil pan with the Fel-Pro one piece gasket and timing cover and so far no leaks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts