El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, I see a lot of oil questions regarding everyone's Elky and I have gotten some good information from those threads, I posted a question to someone else's thread but I guess it got lost in the comments. I have and 86 and have had it for about 5 years now. Since then I have been running Synthetic 5w30 oil in the car. I haven't had any problems with major leaks or anything, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to switch to something else? I live in Tenneessee where it gets pretty hot in the summer and I don't usually drive it much in the winter (maybe a little here and there depending on the weather). It's got about 80,000 miles on it and I have been using the 5-30 synthetic since about 60,000 miles. Obviously I want mine to run as well as it can for as long as I can. Any input helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you haven't experienced any issues, keep doing what you've been doing. You're lucky! That being said, maybe a heavier grade may help down the road but who knows. Since you mention "hot in the summer", you're probably worried about the lighter grade not providing sufficient lubrication and resulting in additional wear. Synthetics today have come a long way coupled with the fact that most newer vehicles are running on still lighter grades, you're probably just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
If you haven't experienced any issues, keep doing what you've been doing. You're lucky! That being said, maybe a heavier grade may help down the road but who knows. Since you mention "hot in the summer", you're probably worried about the lighter grade not providing sufficient lubrication and resulting in additional wear. Synthetics today have come a long way coupled with the fact that most newer vehicles are running on still lighter grades, you're probably just fine.
X2 Here in Idaho it gets pretty warm too. My wife's Honda we run with a synthetic oil that's 5/20. In the El Camino I run 10/30.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Thanks. Just trying to be proactive instead of waiting till I have a problem. But I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Try rotella 15w40 for diesel engines, it has a higher zinc content which I'm told is better for flat tappet cams plus it's easy to find. Been using it in a bunch of different engines over 30 years with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I've been using nothing but 5-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything for decades. Never one cam failure or anything. I even use it in my lawn mower.. Frankly, I think this zinc scare is nothing but BS. They had to blame the poorly machined Chinese lifters and cams on something...

Brad Penn is waxy garbage. I've had three different engines give me ticking issues when ever I tried it. The only reason I tried it was because of what I read on these internet forums.. All three times I drained it and went back to 5-30 Mobil 1 and the ticking went away...

The ticking was weird. It would only happen when climbing long hills 4 or 5 miles or longer at 40 to 60 mph. The rockers would tick like crazy until I pulled over and let the engine idle for five minutes then it would go away.. After switching to Mobil 1 it never ticked again. One guy said that was a result of oil having too much wax in it..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using nothing but 5-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything for decades. Never one cam failure or anything. I even use it in my lawn mower.. Frankly, I think this zinc scare is nothing but BS. They had to blame the poorly machined Chinese lifters and cams on something...

Brad Penn is waxy garbage. I've had three different engines give me ticking issues when ever I tried it. The only reason I tried it was because of what I read on these internet forums.. All three times I drained it and went back to 5-30 Mobil 1 and the ticking went away...

The ticking was weird. It would only happen when climbing long hills 4 or 5 miles or longer at 40 to 60 mph. The rockers would tick like crazy until I pulled over and let the engine idle for five minutes then it would go away.. After switching to Mobil 1 it never ticked again. One guy said that was a result of oil having too much wax in it..
Nice. I have usually used Valvoline or Castrol. But hell, if you've had so much luck with Mobil 1 I might start using just that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts