El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m buying some supplies in preparation for bringing my newly purchased gen 5 home this weekend. First thing on the list is an oil change as it’s pretty black.

The motor is not original and is from a mid 80’s Camaro per the seller. Not much is known about the motor, other than it was dropped in 3 years ago by another previous owner. No idea on mileage. It runs good so I’m not planning on doing too much to it other than maintenance for now, bigger fish to fry elsewhere.

Should I go with full synthetic or a blend? High mileage? 10w30? I’m in Florida.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
I'm in Florida & I use conventional oil 10-30 (castrol or valvoline) what ever is on sale in the big jugs at Walmart
I also add one bottle of the Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment for the flat tappet cam on each oil change
I suggest using WIX oil filters (the quart size) or the NAPA gold (made by WIX)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Why the conventional over synthetic? I would think with an older engine synthetic might be more forgiving. Plus in my circumstance the car won’t be driven much after it’s complete, just a weekend fun car, and probably won’t even be registered for months as I have a lot of body work and other non-drivetrain issues to address, so I’m thinking about degradation too.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
I've seen many people switch to synthetic in old engines & they started to leak, The older engines was made for conventional & the new engines are made for synthetic
You will get some people say they switched to synthetic in older engines with no problems
My 87 engine was just rebuilt & the builder told me if I want the warranty DO NOT USE synthetic
There is a thread a member did about sending oil samples in for testing because he doesn't drive it much & the oil was fine for a long time (Many months)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m pretty hardcore about synthetic on modern motors, especially when I know its full history. But I’m not at all familiar with this era engines, which is why I asked. I can see how the detergents in synthetic can clean up some gunk on a seal and maybe that gunk is what’s sealing a tiny hole. Thanks for your input and very valid points. I think I’ll look into a high quality conventional. Any recommendations? Heck, the only oil I’ve bought for years is Mobil 1 synthetic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 1979 Camaro with your engine in High School. Every car company puts out fantastic engines that last forever. But they have to make one type that is powered by Trojan Horsepower to make money on parts and repeat service. Guess what? LOL. The valve seats on the 305. U think they should be designed to last 70,000 miles but no. Mobil Synthetic? You're doin it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts