El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

I use diesel oil in my older cars,as they have started to take zddp or zinc from automotive oils.
Most diesel oils are 15/40 weight...don't use anything thicker.
The above link gives you plenty of oil recommendations.
I study the UOA's,to get an idea of what type of additive package each oil contains.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil; synthetic 10w-30. Valvoline racing oils have the increased
amounts of zinc/phosphorus that we want. I have a recently rebuild 305.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
0 Posts
I use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil; synthetic 10w-30. Valvoline racing oils have the increased
amounts of zinc/phosphorus that we want. I have a recently rebuild 305.
Good Luck
I use 20-50 Valvoline VR1.

·
Registered
589 Posts
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

I use diesel oil in my older cars,as they have started to take zddp or zinc from automotive oils.
Most diesel oils are 15/40 weight...don't use anything thicker.
The above link gives you plenty of oil recommendations.
I study the UOA's,to get an idea of what type of additive package each oil contains.
Apparently, the OP shouldn't feel ridiculous asking an oil question. I can't believe how many posters are on the oil website you linked to. It's downright astonishing.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I just bought Castrol VR- 1 for the first time. I have alwsys used Mobil 1. Happy to help out John Force.:dontknow:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just bought Castrol VR- 1 for the first time. I have alwsys used Mobil 1. Happy to help out John Force.:dontknow:
Yep, and BP has plenty of money. Ever since I found out Castrol is owned by BP, I walk right by it on the way to any other oil!!! And no, I don't buy Exxon gas either!
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
231 Posts
i use shell rotella 15w-40 in white jug ! also use it in my motorcyle ! everybody has a favorite !!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thick oil is old technology...the thinner oils of today lubricate much better,and fast circulation is important,as most wear happens at start up.
If you guys study the UOA's,you'll notice the lab results show most Diesel oils still show 1200 parts per million of zinc.
They still contain much more than conventional automotive oils or synthetic.
The low price of diesel oil is another reason it's a nice deal.
My cars sit all winter and collect moisture,and I change the oil frequently,and cant afford $6 per quart for oil that will not be in the crankcase very long.
Diesel oil is a pretty good compromise in my book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts