El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this site this past weekend. I have a 3rd gen 72 elky. It is the custom model, w/ original matching numbers 350 motor, ceramic coated headers, rebuilt front end, rebuilt trans, exterior repainted to the original Mohave Gold w/ black vinyl roof.
The elky is still in storage for the winter. Very anxious to take it out, but here in New England, they dump a ton of salt on the roads and we just picked up 4 inches of snow last night. It is frigon April already!
I put some pics on the Members Cars section. And also linked a small web site I have that has some other pics/history on it to this site.
Thanks for having a great site for people who appreciate the uniqueness of the El Camino!

-Jay

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Jay,
Welcome to ECC! Beautiful Elky, beautiful restoration. I also like the "nobody knows it but me", poem.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the compliment. I am looking for the audio of the Chevy Tahoe commercial, so I can put that along with the words on the web page.
I can't take the credit for the main part of the restoration. The previous owner did the majority of it. He did the drivetrain, body, and suspension. I consider that phaseI, and I will take it to the next level or phase II. As soon as the weather breaks, I will putting on some Rally's, hood stripe, and some hood pins. Then on to chrome......
You guys down south are very lucky. You can drive your elky's year round. I had visited Chattanooga a few years back for a previous employer. Real nice town. The one thing that stood out the most was the hospitality of the people.

Jay

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Thanks, Jay. If I hear the audio for the commercial, I'll try to capture it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ernie. I like your 5th gen elky, especially that pic with the ocean background. It sits really nice.
I am fairly new to classic's, car shows, etc. Do you or other members of ECC ever come up towards Worcester, MA. for the Summer Hot Rod Nationals? They hold them during the July 4th weekend and the town is totally flooded with thousands of classic's and hot rods. It is quite the show with controlled burnouts, flame throwers, and entertainment.

Jay

·
Banned
881 Posts
a72elky said:
Do you or other members of ECC ever come up towards Worcester, MA. for the Summer Hot Rod Nationals?
No, I've never been to them. It sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to look into it this summer. Worcester is about an hour from me.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll keep you updated on the Summer Nats. I have heard from another ECC member who is from North Andover MA. Not sure of his user ID yet and not sure how many other ECC members are in the New England area, but might be worth our while to have a place or a section just for ECC at this event. Just a thought.
Usually when I go to car shows, I'm stuck with other Chevelles and Nova's. I like them, but would like to see a grouping of all differant generation elky's.
The web site is http://www.summernationals.com/ if you want to check out last years event.

Jay

·
Registered
83 Posts
WOW! Looking at the pictures of how you car is now sure makes mine look like a pile.
Thanks for putting in the before restoration pictures. Now mine just looks like a few droppings. There is hope!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the compliment. I always give props to the previous owner who besides doing the majority of the restoration, also kept good records and pics. So, I was able to scan in the pics to get the history of the project. I had some other pics that actually looked much worse. This elky was in dire need of work. From what the previous owner told me and the pics can't show, was the smell. It had this rotten smell inside. It is fine now, but it took a lot of work to clean it out.
I plan on doing more restoration to it. I really want the chrome to be redone. Might have to do that one or two pieces at a time, as funds permit.
During your restoration, keep taking pics. If you can post them here, I'd like to see them.

Jay

·
Registered
37 Posts
Heh, looking at the "before" pics makes mine look like a pile... the "after" pics give me some motivation to fix mine up.

Beautiful car, Jay.

-Dean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts