El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rigged my intake with a Spectre elbow and filter just to get my car running. Knowing it was temporary, I still haven't come up with something I like enough to upgrade my patchwork engineering. My computer is sitting in the place normally occupied by the vapor can and vacuum ball on the left behind the headlights so I have to work with that and get my air cleaner in the same basic location. So, show me what you did!

Thanks in advance!

Joe
WIN_20190912_20_02_32_Pro.jpg

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,702 Posts
Here's my 65 LS2

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Les, Looks like we have pretty much the same thing but yours looks stronger for some reason. Mine sagged down when the motor was warmed up and ground a new angle on the side of the MAF sensor, hence the zip-tie holding it up. I actually like the current set-up but just want to make it look more like GM put it there.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Nothing fancy for me. I originally had an elbow into the throttle body then a pipe to my K & N air filter. No problems, right?

No. The tubing and elbow messed with my mass air flow sensor too much causing maxed out Long Term Fuel Flows at 25 percent added fuel.

With the air filter straight onto the throttle body, no problems with chaotic air and random LTFT numbers plus or minus five either side of zero.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
2,702 Posts
Nothing fancy for me. I originally had an elbow into the throttle body then a pipe to my K & N air filter. No problems, right?

No. The tubing and elbow messed with my mass air flow sensor too much causing maxed out Long Term Fuel Flows at 25 percent added fuel.

With the air filter straight onto the throttle body, no problems with chaotic air and random LTFT numbers plus or minus five either side of zero.

Rick

I would like to have the air inlet straight in, without the curved tube but, there is just not room. The MAF sensor and the air filter, without the tube, would be about 1.5" into the radiator. Plus the upper radiator hose into the water pump is almost directly below the throttle body - no room.

Unfortunately, I have neither the skills or tools to check air-flow or mixture. Plus, I'm reluctant - or too cheap - to plunk out $600 for a professional dyno-tune. I don't yet have enough highway miles to check fuel consumption.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to have the air inlet straight in, without the curved tube but, there is just not room. The MAF sensor and the air filter, without the tube, would be about 1.5" into the radiator. Plus the upper radiator hose into the water pump is almost directly below the throttle body - no room.

Unfortunately, I have neither the skills or tools to check air-flow or mixture. Plus, I'm reluctant - or too cheap - to plunk out $600 for a professional dyno-tune. I don't yet have enough highway miles to check fuel consumption.
I did get mine tuned out of necessity. The cam I used isn't big by any means but has a lot of lift and the stock tune just couldn't handle it and idle was so bad it would die any time I let off the gas. I had originally planned to mount the MAF on the intake with the filter in front but that wouldn't work. The MAF needs to be away from the pulses caused in the intake to get a smoother air flow to work properly. The MAF can be eliminated but driveability suffers.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Hey Les,

Plunk down about 15 bucks for an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD II module and then download a free OBD II app.

Torque Pro, Moto Data, there's lots of them. Set up however many parameter IDs (PIDS) you want that your PCM supports and get it all to start logging. If I remember correctly, I think my PCM supports 24 different PIDS but newer engine computers support a wider variety.

Just note that the more you scan and log, the less frequent of a snapshot that you revisit on any particular PID.

There is no free lunch here but you can certainly learn a lot about your motor without spending big dyno tuner bucks. I'm running two different Bluetooth OBD 2 modules - a Konnwei and OBD Link MX+. Both Ebay purchases. The MX + device reads and writes to my PCM for about 70 bucks. The Konnwei is merely a reader for about 15 dollars.

Rick

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info Rick! But I'm looking for intake systems. I did send an email to a local 3D printer just in case I can't find a better solution!

Joe

·
2,702 Posts
Hey Les,

Plunk down about 15 bucks for an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD II module and then download a free OBD II app.

Torque Pro, Moto Data, there's lots of them. Set up however many parameter IDs (PIDS) you want that your PCM supports and get it all to start logging. If I remember correctly, I think my PCM supports 24 different PIDS but newer engine computers support a wider variety.

Just note that the more you scan and log, the less frequent of a snapshot that you revisit on any particular PID.

There is no free lunch here but you can certainly learn a lot about your motor without spending big dyno tuner bucks. I'm running two different Bluetooth OBD 2 modules - a Konnwei and OBD Link MX+. Both Ebay purchases. The MX + device reads and writes to my PCM for about 70 bucks. The Konnwei is merely a reader for about 15 dollars.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Looks like I need shop for a tuner and get on my primary learning tool "You Tube". I bought the harness and computer from Speartech, set up specificalyl for the Corvette LS2 so, the tune should be close. But, as you pointed out, the modification to the air inlet could be having an affect. The engine starts and runs fine but it's not quite as smooth as I've come to expect from other LS engines I've owned and, I've not yet checked fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
The Bluetooth OBD modules and the software packages give you instantaneous fuel mileage and average fuel mileage. PM me when you get ready to start experimenting here. I find it all very fascinating.

Rick

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While that is quite interesting, not exactly the direction I'm looking for. I'm on a different path but can't wait to see the finished product and hear it run! Also, I'm not looking for pre-built stuff exclusively. I just want to see others solution since I'm kind of stumped lately for ideas to make my intake look the way I want it too.

Joe

·
Senior Member Participating Member
789 Posts
Functional and C.A.R.B approved. IMG_4646.JPG IMG_4647.JPG IMG_4648.JPG

·
Senior Member Participating Member
789 Posts
Functional and C.A.R.B approved.IMG_4646.JPGIMG_4647.JPGIMG_4648.JPG

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Functional and C.A.R.B approved.IMG_4646.JPGIMG_4647.JPGIMG_4648.JPG
This is kind of what I had in mind when I started but came to a mental roadblock on fabricating the housing. Right now I'm thinking there might be a factory air cleaner housing that would look ok. I will be keeping this in mind though since it is more like my original idea! Thanks!

On a side note, I noticed on your signature that you are running a 3.73 gear. What is your RPM on the hwy at 70? I'm currently trying to figure out what will be best. I'm leaning towards a 3.55 but haven't carved it in stone yet.

Joe

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Functionality wise, it's best to catch air not heated up or chopped up turbulently by the radiator and not too low to catch water. The air at the front top of the hood is about the best area for cool ram air effect, but shielded off from underhood &breathing fenderwells or better yet, modified headlight bucket (s) is good also.
As far as visually , I've seen some twin outlet setups running each direction with a custom radiator cover to follow the shape that was pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Functionality wise, it's best to catch air not heated up or chopped up turbulently by the radiator and not too low to catch water. The air at the front top of the hood is about the best area for cool ram air effect, but shielded off from underhood &breathing fenderwells or better yet, modified headlight bucket (s) is good also.
As far as visually , I've seen some twin outlet setups running each direction with a custom radiator cover to follow the shape that was pretty cool.
I agree on the first sentence totally! As I said, this was my work-around to get running knowing it would be short lived. I'm just looking for ideas that might get my brain flowing again! Thanks!

Joe

1 - 20 of 33 Posts