El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1987 Elko, I want to replace the 2 old cracked rubber hose fuel lines coming out of the gas tank sending unit and the ones by the frame. They look to be definitely different sizes. I assume one is 3/8” and the other is 5/16” does anyone know for sure? I want to buy some new line before I start, need to know what size and how much length will do the job.
Thanks. Also what is the proper sending unit number. These auto part sites are very confusing.
Automotive tire Tread Automotive exterior Bumper Wood

·
Registered
580 Posts
When in doubt, use an open end wrench on the steel line to verify - going to the part store you can use your same open wrenches on their steel pipe if you are still not sure. Most part stores sell the rubber fuel line by the foot and a tape measure can be used to verify the length of your hoses. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
256 Posts
They are different sizes and can be confirmed with an open end wrench as noted. Look at the rest of the fuel system and see where there may be other hoses also so you can order enough in one shot. Don’t get cheap stuff, get good quality hose and clamps. As far as a sending unit, do you have the 17 or 22 gallon tank??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are different sizes and can be confirmed with an open end wrench as noted. Look at the rest of the fuel system and see where there may be other hoses also so you can order enough in one shot. Don’t get cheap stuff, get good quality hose and clamps. As far as a sending unit, do you have the 17 or 22 gallon tank??
Most of my fill-ups are usually 15-16 gallons so I assume it is 17 gal. I wait for the fuel gage to hit E or close to E before I fill-up. I have never run it dry so not 100% sure. Where is the best place to buy from? All these auto parts web sites are very confusing, they always pop up with sending units for all types of cars even though I am very specific about my make and model. The young girls and boys who work at the parts store weren’t even born when Elcamino’s were around so if it’s not in the computer they don’t even know what your talking about. LOL.

·
Supporting Member
4,715 Posts
Fuel lines are 5/16" and 3/8" 4 ft of each should be enough but a little extra will allow you to also change the lines up front at the engine for Vent and Supply lines. Never hurts to have a little extra line laying around. I also like to replace the spring clips with Fuel Injection fuel clamps, just for safety. The spring clips will probably be OK for a carb car, as there is no pressure to speak of in the lines up to the fuel pump.

The 17 gal tanks and the 22 gal tanks are exactly the same externally. The only difference in the sender is the float position. Either will work, and both will show good indications at or near empty. A 17 gal sender in a 22 gal tank will just stay full longer before it starts to drop.

Reactions: Caballero Joe

·
Registered
491 Posts
5/6 " and 3/8: are the sizes. like others said get good quality lines. I got the green stripe from oreillys sold by the foot. Be careful when you are installing them not to kink them as I think the ones you have on were formed like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts