El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project that wasn't scheduled to exist for more than a few weeks...almost 3 years later and it is getting 'close.'

I finally thought about it and realized that I never put any fuel stabilizer into the gas tank.

Is it too late to add Sta-Bil or other fuel stabilizer at this point?
Is it obvious that the fuel is good or bad if I siphon some out of the tank prior to or after adding the fuel stabilizer?
If the fuel is bad, what am I in for (75 Corvette)?

Scot S.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
The fuel is bad by now and sta-bil won't bring it back. Easy to get the fuel out of the 75 vette. Sending unit is right in the bottom passenger side with the line right there. Get you a can and take the hose off and let it drain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the sending unit is low, wouldn't the fuel pump still need to be active to get the fuel out of the lines at the top of the tank?
(I feel dumb asking...but I don't know.)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
The pick up tube goes in the top and then almost to the bottom. If you can get it started it will siphon itself down to maybe less than a gallon in the tank. Think about it. If it stopped at the top you would always be out of gas. LOL Hang in there you will get it. Just had to have a little fun with you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right right! Pickup is down low, sending unit is down low, so when I take the hose off at the sending unit how does the fuel get from the pickup at the bottom of the tank, up to the top of the tank and back down to the sending unit? Gravity to get back to the sending unit, but without flipping the car (something I've managed not to do in 30,000 miles of driving...) how does it get to the top to come back to the sending unit?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
On the vette it will drain right out if you pull the hose off. Everything is in the bottom of the tank. I forgot that you were working on the vette. Disregard the going to the top stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts