El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been quite a long time since I have visited this forum, but I believe it is time I actually post. I didn't believe I ever posted a vehicle before just tried to soak up as much knowledge as I could from the site. I have owned 3 '66 El Caminos but this latest build will be a forever car for me. It is built with a lot of try hard, and a lot of doing the right thing the wrong way. I started with a clapped out yellow 66 that had gone through the Harvey flood in Houston. It has been cobbled together by me, with mostly right parts, being installed by the wrong person (me). Seats are buckets from a 64 Nova I believe, and took some special work to get them to fit. I am currently dealing with finishing issues such as getting the brakes to function properly, and having a pesky oil leak (which I now believe is coming from the oil cooler block off plate, installing the rad fans, installing an exhaust and general engine bay cleanup. Feel free to ask any question or give opinions on what to change (i have done more wrong than right, but learned along the way). Hopefully I put these photos in correctly.

She has all new bushings, disks in front with 2" lowered spindles, lowered 2" springs in back(yet to be installed, hopefully i get a 1" drop out of them after swapping the original springs in year), adjustable rear arms (had to have these to correct the pinion angle), 5.3 "LS" from a 2006 Yukon, and a 4l80 trans. Wheels are 17" steelies from US wheel with Nitto tires.

The day she was brought home.

Yes the patina is painted, but it creates the look without having to go overboard with bodywork. It was all done with rustoleum paint.
This was created by Sanding the car down, painting is silver, then white, then black, then grey, then, light blue, then dark blue, and a lot of sanding. I mixed many colors together to get the correct shades (top coat is a satin dark blue using blue and brown mixed to correct shade).
Difficult to tell from the picture but in person you can see the effect of all the different shades come through for the correct effect; it is still a 10 ft car but looks great in pictures.

The current stock 5.3 still uses the original truck intake manifold, and fits fine under the hood just fine. This picture is with the unit fully wired and running, although the engine bay still needs quite a bit of cleanup. a keen eye will notice the sheetmetal block off plates for the SS hood scoops. These have since been painted white; haven't gotten to putting the hood back on yet since I had pulled the motor back out to diagnosis the engine leak (thought it was coming from the rear main). engine is back in and running, but the oil leak persists. I will hopefully solve this within the week.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Nice job! When I did mine I used the complete rear main seal plate from GM. It was made as an up-grade for the aluminum LS3's that liked to leak there more than the iron block LS motors. I heard getting just the rear seal seated in the plate properly can be a pain. Don't know which way you went but mine hasn't leaked a drop. Also the cross-over plate at the lifter area above the rear main can be a problem too, I replaced that one also, it kinda looks like a Batman throwing weapon.

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job! When I did mine I used the complete rear main seal plate from GM. It was made as an up-grade for the aluminum LS3's that liked to leak there more than the iron block LS motors. I heard getting just the rear seal seated in the plate properly can be a pain. Don't know which way you went but mine hasn't leaked a drop. Also the cross-over plate at the lifter area above the rear main can be a problem too, I replaced that one also, it kinda looks like a Batman throwing weapon.

Joe
thanks for the input, i will check this out. I have pulled the motor 3 times now (2 for low oil pressure-only had 5 psi, and only ran it for 10 seconds before I stopped and pulled it) with that fixed I hope its as simple as the oil cooler gasket that will be here tomorrow. we will see. it is definitely not coming from the rear main, but this batman weapon is something i haven't checked.I will definitely look at this tomorrow. Thanks again Joe

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,562 Posts
thanks for the input, i will check this out. I have pulled the motor 3 times now (2 for low oil pressure-only had 5 psi, and only ran it for 10 seconds before I stopped and pulled it) with that fixed I hope its as simple as the oil cooler gasket that will be here tomorrow. we will see. it is definitely not coming from the rear main, but this batman weapon is something i haven't checked.I will definitely look at this tomorrow. Thanks again Joe
OldJohn , Thanks for the post and photos . Your 66 loks like a fun ride and it is great that you understand and are able to do the repairs/upgrades to it . I am envious of your talents . Enjoy the ride (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts