El Camino Central Forum banner

Old Member with a New Ride

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TF Design 
#1 ·
Not trying to compete with Done Deal Donny (not that anyone could) but I just acquired El Camino #10 (9th 3rd Gen and 4th '72). After selling my '69 to pay for the kitchen remodel on our retirement home in Aransas Pass, I thought I would find another 3rd Gen to use as my daily driver. Unfortunately, Hurricane Harvey radically changed my financial situation and the search was delayed. About a year ago, I started looking for another rust free '70 with a small block and working A/C only to find those are virtually non-existent.

Fast forward a year after several wasted trips to Austin, Houston, Fort Worth, Texarkana, and Las Vegas and I finally ran across an affordable '72 in Phoenix. Originally Mojave gold with a 307, 350 TH, 3.08 open end, and factory AC, it was upgraded circa 2004 to a Mr Goodwrench 350 crate motor with a 700R-4 trans. Although it needs a lot of cosmetic work, it is an original AZ car with virtually no rust and has tons of potential. I have already started stripping the trim which is in horrible shape in preparation for paint. The worn and shoddy interior will be replaced as time and money permits.

Please excuse me for not posting any pictures as I would really prefer no one sees this poor cruk in its current condition. Am hoping to have it road ready for Belton 2020 but am already finding this will be a bigger project than I had originally envisioned-hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew!

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey Fred, welcome back! Glad to hear that you're getting back into this Elky addiction we all share. And a '72 no less. Nice choice!

#6 ·
Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys.

Unlike Donny, this will definitely be my last El Camino--I cannot afford another build -or- another wife.

My counter to Donny's corollary is "no pictures, no public humiliation".

Am still hoping to show up at Belton 2020 with something worth taking pictures of. Meanwhile a lot of time, money and effort will be required. Sometimes it seems like I am working harder since I retired than I did while working!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.