El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting closer to purchasing a vehicle to tow the El Camino to shows far distances, and I would like some feedback. I've narrowed it down to purchasing a new/slightly used Toyota Tundra or a classic panel truck. I have one I'm watching on Ebay that has been completely gone through and is more of a restomod, so it has all the modern conveniences.

A little backstory about the El Camino, for those who don't know my situation:
I have a 1980 SS that was restored a few years back. The Great Flood of 2016 in Baton Rouge, LA caused my vehicle to be submerged in approximately 6-ft of water for several days. It has since been restored to a drivable condition...sort of. The engine, transmission, and rearend have been flushed, but I've had a setback with it while driving around town - the carb was rebuilt improperly and had to be replaced. That being said, I'm not really comfortable taking it on a long trip...just in case.

Thoughts? Comments? What would you do, given the options? :dontknow:

See pics for comparison...

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Josh, I bought a 2012 Tundra (new) when I had a hunting lease and pulled a trailer. I highly recommend the truck. Ironically, a friend offered me more money for it than I could turn down so I sold it to him. I then realized I really needed a truck. So I bought my current El Camino. However, the panel truck does have a "cool factor".

·
Registered
150 Posts
Go with the Tundra. As much as I like older and much cooler looking tow vehicles like the panel truck, it makes more practical sense to go with the newer vehicle. You didn't mention what driveline or suspension that is in the panel truck but the Tundra or any other comparable newer truck will handle a trailer much better and safer than the panel, which really wasn't designed to tow much when it was new. My GMC has the towing package, which is great when I tow the trailer. Push the button and the transmission shift points change. Then there's the anti-lock brakes, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go with the Tundra. As much as I like older and much cooler looking tow vehicles like the panel truck, it makes more practical sense to go with the newer vehicle. You didn't mention what driveline or suspension that is in the panel truck but the Tundra or any other comparable newer truck will handle a trailer much better and safer than the panel, which really wasn't designed to tow much when it was new. My GMC has the towing package, which is great when I tow the trailer. Push the button and the transmission shift points change. Then there's the anti-lock brakes, etc.
The specs. are as follows from the seller:

1.1964 Chevrolet short wheel base panel truck with very nice paint and no rust.

2.454 cid motor with under 10k miles

3.NEW 700 R4 auto with overdrive.

4.New sniper holley fuel injection.

5.Dual Derale elect fans on thermostat

6.Vintage Heat and AC

7.Dakota digital dash.

8.3 core alum rad.

9.one piece tilt frontend

10.all leather 2 tone interior front and back seats Chevy Tahoe donor with built in seatbelts

11.all late model suspension posi rear end with custom frame.

12.frame is painted and shows very nice only been caught in rain 2 times its nice and clean underside too.

13.all new chrome grill and front bumper

14.roll pan rear with hidden class 4 hitch under lic plate.

15.20x 10 Foose legend wheels all chrome...

16.new 275x45x20 tires.

17.alum fuel tank..

18.Locar shifter

19.good tunes

20.back up camera

21.tilt wheel

22.power disc brakes

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Love that Chevy panel truck!! I'd go with it but look to upgrade the brakes and install a big trans cooler.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love that Chevy panel truck!! I'd go with it but look to upgrade the brakes and install a big trans cooler.
That's definitely something to consider...Thanks!

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,530 Posts
Man, that's a tough call, Josh. The panel is pure hotness on wheels, but that Tundra is built to run forever. I think both will work fine. The biggest consideration is that the panel would basically be another toy, while the Tundra could be daily driver transportation without a worry. Because, would you really drive that panel down I-10 during rush hour in the rain?

·
Registered
266 Posts
As they say, "everyone can own a new vehicle but not just anyone can own an old one".
That panel would do the El camino justice in my mind.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Man, that's a tough call, Josh. The panel is pure hotness on wheels, but that Tundra is built to run forever. I think both will work fine. The biggest consideration is that the panel would basically be another toy, while the Tundra could be daily driver transportation without a worry. Because, would you really drive that panel down I-10 during rush hour in the rain?
This, even though I'd rather have the Panel, I wouldn't want to daily it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Go with the tundra. No problem getting repairs in the event of an accident or breakdown.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:shocked2: Yeah, that would definitely not be a good thing in rush hour traffic...especially with the big block. :new_tomato:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm with rushgator. The panel truck really isn't old, it just looks old. But the problem with a restomod is that you're getting an old looking truck with a long list of aftermarket stuff put in it. You may end up with another toy and not something dependable. Not that I'm a Toyota fan, but will be more reliable in the long run. My two cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow. That's a tough one. The Tundra "might" be more reliable at first. But I'd have to go with that panel truck. What a statement that would make ? I think the panel and the El Camino would totally complimented each other.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Double your pleasure!

Double your fun! :inlove: I'd say panel...but will you be able to use it as a daily driver? As you would the Tundra? That would be your call! :bigups:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Panel!!

If "daily driver" means you don't have access to another vehicle when its down for repairs or improvements, it could be a problem. When "daily driver" means you usually drive it but you have access to another vehicle when necessary, a classic can be lots of fun. I like the panel. :rockon:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts