El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking on-line but cant find the right reading material for "guages". I want to know everything. I am treating my dash baord like a rat-rod build. I need to treat each gauge as is I bought it seperatly I think.
I have an 1986 dash cluster and though it is working great, it does not have a tach(always wanted one) and I picked up a 80's TransAm cluster for 5 bucks. Exactly like this one on ebay(EXCEPT mine has a 140 speedo). I really just want the speedo and tach but it'd be nice to have the other guages match too, I'm just tired of having to guess what rpm I am at by listening alone and I don't like using those construction speed camera-like machines to know how fast I am going when I do 85+
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-85-PONTIAC-TRANS-AM-SPEEDOMETER-W-GAUGE-SET-101382-MILES-TPI-V8-CAR-7K-TACH-/350493761070?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6703317017523751799

Anyhow I've even read threads here hoping for insight, but none of the threads address the issue in as much detail as I'd prefer, below is a link to a similar inquiry but my project isn't a straight up swap so I need more info.
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=41497&highlight=guage+wiring

My question is simple. Can I "wire" each gauge indepentantly? AND HOW do I do that? :dontknow:
I plan to cut the cluster's shell up and make a uniformly spaced gauge cluster for a custom look, I might rearange the order of the gauges too. The speedometer is my main concern(I think this speedo is a comp?) but I could use some serious detail on every guage and what to do. Wiring schematics for the OEM cluster and the "PLUG" in the back and what wires are what in that plug would be great, that way I can draw from the stock power-lines and light my cluster with custom LEDs too.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

· Registered
382 Posts
is that dash cluster you got the same as you, just with a tach? I could have sworn that when a tach wasn't present, the space was just empty. and if this is the case, you want to see if your wiring harness does in fact go to the distributor so it can adapt to a tach.

The easiest approach to get what you want, is just to buy an aftermarket. it will be quick easy and you can get away not tearing apart your dash.

as for rearranging them and wiring them individually? they are all mounting on a circuit board, which then is plugged into the wiring harness. so your looking at some time consuming modification.

check out this thread>:nanawrench:
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=46629

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had given some thought to doing something similar, it would be easier no doubt. But my signature doesn't lie, I am a college kid building on a budget. A very TIGHT budget, I've found several well priced tachs but they are for 4-6 cyl engines? Or so they say, but even they are at my wallet's limit. I know my HEI doesnt have a lead, but I'm told it wouldn't be hard to attach a new lead sensor to an HEI. A tach I am told is easy to do.
I know about the plug in the back of the dash and the circuit board, they always seem to be green with copper pathways etc. I'm thinking if I had a schematic of which wire does "what" in that male plug adaptor? That it would be a simple matter of crimping wire connections to "extend" the pre-plug harness wires. Plus a custom look certainly wouldn't hurt. IF I get the info I need I wont mind spending the time to build the dash I have mocked up out of cardboard and then spending a weekend wiring.

· Registered
131 Posts
I'd say the BEST thing to do for a truly custom look is to buy aftermarket gauges. And if it were me, I'd run them all mechanical and not worry about all the other crap. You can find cheap gauges online, trust me! :beer:

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the diagram on that site, if nothing else at least I should know what the Plug's colors are now, but why change the "temp and oil pressure sending units (for gauges)?" I thought volt meters and oil sending units and those basic gauges where all universal,
this is getting to be a headache:let_it_all_out:
My budget is barely 50 bucks though so I doubt I can find all the guages I'd need for that cheap.
I'll look for a marine-tach though, if nothing else I'll just add a tach and maybe make a custom mold dash so it looks different.
Thanks for the help ya'll. I'll do some more research and check my harness so keep it coming.

· Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Thanks for the diagram on that site, but why change the "temp and oil pressure sending units (for gauges)?" I thought volt meters and oil sending units and those basic gauges where all universal
The dash w/o gauges uses "On/Off" sensors. They simply switch from off to on to light an idiot light when the temperature gets too high or the oil pressure drops.

The sending units for gauges change resistance based on temperature or oil pressure. That allows the gauges to vary their readings continuously.

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.