El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

This will ruffle some feathers I'm sure, but I've never been a fan of the vent windows in my 3rd gen El Camino. In my opinion, the slight functionality just doesn't make up for the lost aesthetics compared to the Chevelle counterparts. So, when I ran across the One Piece Products website, and saw their Window Conversion kits, I was pretty interested.

I'd seen a little about the kits on here, but never a ton of information. So I ended up taking a risk and buying a set for a little more than I would have spent to repair/replace my existing windows. I'd never done significant body work, so I was definitely nervous. But I ended up getting them together eventually, and I'm extremely pleased with the look. I just wanted to share the process with all of you to get your opinions and answer questions for anyone who may have been thinking about doing the same.

Here's the way my existing windows looked. I'm sure you're all aware of the configuration.

I picked up the kit and started getting to work. Taking the existing windows out ended up being very easy. But I guess it always is easier taking stuff apart than putting it back together. Anyhow, this is how it looked with the two windows taken out, and it gives you an idea of what the new windows will look like.

It was at this point that I realized I didn't like where the side mirrors were. With the vent windows, the chrome pillar came down in the middle of the door, so it made sense to have the mirror mounted there. But now, it just looked out of place.

Luckily, the guy who painted the Camino owed me a repaint. So I had him move the mirrors up at the same time.

After this was finished, I went ahead and tinted the windows. And I'm just tickled with how it turned out. It's dirty in this pic, but you get the idea.

I realize this look isn't for everyone, and a lot of people won't be happy that I messed with a perfectly good design. But that's pretty much true about everything else I did with the cruck, so I'm not too worried about that.

Hopefully this will help folks in a similar situation make their decision. Feel free to ask any other questions about the process.

-Steffen

· Registered
4,812 Posts
I like the look. Dont think I will do that with mine though.

If you roll down the window and open the vent the post gives you something to hold onto in fast corners.:dontknow:

· Premium Member
424 Posts
I like the look. I did the same thing w/ an 82 C-10 PU that I customized. I bought the first set of the One Piece windows for the PU on the east coast. I think One Piece is a 'first class' organization and I obviously like their products.
Don't tell people what you've done and see how many people notice the change. In my case, people noticed that something was different, but didn't what was different until I told them.
I'll have to consider doing this to my 72 Elky.
Thanks for posting the info and pics.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. As I expected, there are mixed opinions on the newer versus original style. But, as always, everyone is very respectful in the way they offer their opinion. I always love that about this place.

Like DrPepper mentioned, when people see it in person, they notice that it looks a little slicker and newer than the original cruck, but no one can put their finger on exactly why.

Personally, I love adding customizations that improve the look of the vehicle but don't stand out so much that people notice it right away. It's a lot like the hood stripes with a satin finish that match the satin powder coat on the wheels. Or the few chrome pieces and fender emblems that I elected to leave off during reassembly. Or the not-quite-stock paint scheme on the grille. They each give it a look that's different from a common '71, but they don't just slap you in the head when you look at it.

Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of purists that would just love to track me down and slit my throat, but that's why I always drive fast...

-Steffen

· Premium Member
424 Posts
Guys like you can really get under my skin. (in a nice way)
Now I'm thinking about using the One Piece windows in my 72. The problem I have is I really don't want to re-locate my mirrors (again). Can you post a side pic of your car so I can get a better perspective of the mirror placement. Does it really look out of place where it was located?
Also, how tight are the window channels when the class is up? The glass in my C-10 was curved and the drivers glass would leak when I washed the truck. Maybe I should have used less water pressure???

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know the feeling. This forum is full of people with ideas that cost me entirely too much money.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more pictures of mine before moving the mirrors, but I did find several on the internet back when I was considering making the switch.

Sorry they're not bigger pictures, but that's all I could find.

I don't think the mirrors look bad in the original location, just not ideal. If I wasn't already planning on having the paint done again, I wouldn't have moved them up, and I doubt anyone would have noticed. It just worked out for me the way everything happened.

As far as the fitment, there are LOTS of adjustments within the door for you to get it to fit just right. As I mentioned, this was my first time doing any work with the windows, so it took me quite a while to get it matched up. It's still not factory perfect, but they include new weather stripping to install that has lots of forgiveness.

I haven't had any problems with water leaking, but I normally just use a garden hose to wash it. I have driven in some fairly heavy rain without any leaking as well.

Hope this helps!

-Steffen

· Registered
123 Posts
i really like how they turned out, now i want to do this to my elky, problem for me the price as always, good job on the work and thanks for posting

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.