El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on looking more closely, I see my Quadrajet is not a computer-controlled one, so I don't need to do anything there. However, I need to put in a non-computer distributor. I have a brand new one that I planned on using on my T, but there wasn't enough room.

So, my question is, which port on the Quadrajet do I need to use for the distributor's vacuum advance?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
On the front of the carb passenger side there should be a port that only has vacuum off-idle. You should only feel vacuum when you open the throttle

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Looking at the front of the carb you will see a port just to the right of the fuel inlet and above the right side idle mixture screw. This is where the factory connected on most for advance. If you want to run full vacuum advance at idle you might have to put a "T" in the short line going to the choke pull off.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know one thing for sure. I do NOT want to start the age-old discussion on what type of vacuum you want going to your distributor!

Thanks for the info on what the factory used.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
either ported or direct the dist need to be set up for that particular type of vacuum supply. the most common on late vacuum advance dist from gm was ported. the problem with direct is it retards the timing under load or part throttle acceleration

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to see detailed photos of engines in cars that are currently running well, showing the vacuum hose routing, etc.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,781 Posts
I know, I was cleaning the motor trying to find a oil leak & had the carb & dist covered & saw your thread. So I took a pic for you ! Thanks anyway !!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know, I was cleaning the motor trying to find a oil leak & had the carb & dist covered & saw your thread. So I took a pic for you ! Thanks anyway !!
Is that your charcoal canister connected to the big vacuum fitting at the front, bottom?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts