El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,I just got a new alternator,one wire hookup,100 amp,all chrome with a chrome billet pulley.Its a Proform,new not rebuilt.
Got it from www.paceperformance.com. they had the best price.
QUESTION is,I'm going to run a new wire direct to the battery and still connect the stock heavy wire to the alt. battery post with the new wire.What do I do about the warning light inside?If I jump the two wires that used to plug in,will this make the dash light go out?Or do I need to install a diode inbetween?
I need all the help I can Get,
Thanks,
8) Shane
BTW Pace has some real low prices on 350 engines,Goodwrench crate under $1200.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Take the wire to the idiot light and ground it to turn off lamp, or, you could remove the bulb.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Some 1-wire alternators have a connector that allows them to be set up as a 3-wire. The idiot light should not come on if the original alternator connector isn't used. If you don't have a voltmeter in that car it's a good idea to install one.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
John_Muha said:
Some 1-wire alternators have a connector that allows them to be set up as a 3-wire. The idiot light should not come on if the original alternator connector isn't used. If you don't have a voltmeter in that car it's a good idea to install one.
Then there's that...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Thanks Guys,I'm going to install it sunday.I have a voltmeter in the dash,but I'm gonna hookup a Fluke meter with a inductive clamp to check the actual output in amps for a couple of days.It will reach to the passenger window and stands on the dash just right.
I just want to see the output,to ease my mind.
Thanks to all,
8) Shane

1 - 5 of 5 Posts