El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to my first car show with my elky and i had a real blast!!!

the only thing that waas wrong was a total lack of any elkys except for mine.

there were a couple of rancheros and they werent that nice.

i had fiqured that there would have at least been some newer ones in the show.

had several people tell me how their father had one and all the things you like to hear

but as i thought about it i realized that there just arent that many elkys running around here.

and no i didnt win anything-they had a special intrest class but i guess they feel like judging my car i waited by the car and they just passed it by like it wasnt even sitting there....oh well i must have not done anything right .but next year i plan to have the old elky in top condition and we will see how it goes then...

anyway thanksn for letting me rant a litlle bit!!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Congrats on your first show. It is usually difficult to figure out what class you and your elky fit into during shows, unless there is a specific "El Camino / Ranchero" class.
Sometimes you get put in a class with all the Chevelles, Nova's, etc. And that is not fair because those cars where always used as cars and an El Camino was used as both a car and a truck. Thats the nature of the El Camino's.

When you hear about a show your thinking about attending, call the organizers of the event and see if they will have an "El Camino" class. Also, look for "All Chevy or GM" shows. They usually have a class for you.

Good luck and post some pic's.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
There was an "Open" car show in Chattanooga this weekend and El Camino owners had a choice of five classes: Truck (pre-1968), Truck (post-1967), 1964-1977 Stock, 1978-1988 Stock, All Modified/Custom. Only three El Caminos, but they were nice. Had a newly done 1964, black, 502 from Georgia. Super nice.

Keep entering those shows!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The first and only show I've had one of mine in it was in the trucks category (73~77 models) but I was mixed in with the Chevelles not the trucks. I got a lot of attention and happen to walk off with a first place trophy and honorable mention in the favorites. I was the only Elky Owner there also. Which is why, I believe, got me the trophy which I proudly display in my living room.

So in some cases it is god to be an Elky owner and I guess it is also a curse in some shows. Some car shows don't even think about them until someone show up in one then they scramble around to figure out what category they will fit into. That is what happened to my truck. They decided it was a truck since it had truck plates. How many people you see driving around in a 73 ~ 77 Pickup? Not a lot, well I don't or haven't noticed any.

So the next one will probably be different. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts