El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im planning to open my engine up from the cam and up. if i put elderbrock cam do i gotta change anything else on the engine?

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Short answer YES. Cam & lifters, intake gaskets and timing chain gasket. Also a good idea to change the timing change and gears for a double roller set (not that much more cost)
Don't over cam the engine.
What do you want? A driver or a toy on the weekend?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daily driver my only car i got. i got tired taking it to the shop.. getting ripped off kinda planning doing this my self but i dont know what kind of engine i got cause they changed the flywheel the 350 didnt fit 305 did? :poke:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
First off, if it's your daily driver,than a big cam is not what you need ,you will get lots of opinions here,you willl save money in the long run to put a plan together as to what you expect from your truck, i help members here all the time,shoot me a pm if you want me to help with information,to far away for me to do the work. Fixitman ....:beer::texas:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Based on what ive read i would suggest finding someone trustworthy to help you. Not trying to? Your abilities but its your dd
so you want to keep down time to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
opening

Removing grill(?), radiator, fan & clutch, belts, pulleys, water pump, cam cover, timing gears & chain, intake manifold, distributor(cap & wires), valve covers, push rods, lifters, old cam. If you have NEVER done this, get some help. A good GM SBC cam kit is PN12353923, check you local Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it aint no honda for sure. stay on the small side of cam choices to keep it a decent driver. overcamming is the biggest mistake most novices make. too much cam on an old stock motor might make it worse than before you started. and in ca. you have the smog police to contend with. make sure whatever cam you use it has an e.o. # or its not ca smog legal

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
80,You say in #3 that you "don't know what kind of engine I got". Let's clear that up first before we give you advice on a build. On the right front of the block below the cylinder head, there is a pad with a stamped number/letters. On the left upper bell-housing flange, there is a number cast into the block. See if you can get these numbers and post them. We will decode it for you.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
opening up

This is a nice mild streetable cam kit from GM. duration at 50 degrees ,lift I 224 E 234, Max lift I 465 E 448.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts