El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm still looking for a first vehicle; Preferably my favorite vehicle, you guessed it, the El Camino. Well I've been searching on this local classifieds website for them and I saw this. http://www.thepapershop.com/index.php?section=searchresults&keyword=el+camino&category=all&submit.x=41&submit.y=15

An 81 Caballero V8 for $2000, says it "very restorable" and has some resoration parts thrown in as well. My question to you very knowledgeable people is if its even worth calling the guy up and driving down to look at it? For 2000 what could be wrong with it? The picture, if any of you looked, doesn't seem too bad, as far as body wise that is.
Keep in mind I do have a 400 small block to do with whatever I please, and I also have a trans.
I figure as long as it gets me from point A to point B I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Very restore-able?........check the rear frame horns where they go over the axle to the rear bumper for rot (common)..Check the floors too.......

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Could be one of a few things if it were my guess.

1) A rust bucket, but from the pictures I would think the fender walls would be rusting.

2) The interior is totally shot maybe had mice in it

3) Tranny or Motor issue.

I say give him a call and see what he says is wrong with it. Very restore-able means the guy knows it has issues so see what price you can get him down to.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
X2 on give him a call.

If there are problems(and there are for that price) hopefully its engine/trans instead of rust issues.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Could mostly just mean the vehicle as a whole is worn as you would expect from a 31 year old unrestored vehicle, driven constantly for all it's worth, but still an intact ,restorable ride. On any 31 year old unrestored vehicle, you can expect to have to go over it (spend money) from end to end to make it nice again. Worn drivetrains are much easier to replace than rust. If you look at it & are still interested,Bring back someone who can give better opinion or bring it to someone if you yourself are not sure enough at what you're looking at.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not a lot of info on the ad, the picture looks nice, but that's only one side... there is still three others and the top and bottom, etc.
Call, see what they say, maybe go look at it if it sounds promising. If it has some acceptable issues, you can sometimes talk someone down a bit and get an OK deal... If it is an basket case it might not be worth it ^especially* if they won't move on the price. I've a few stories but they're for another day. :p

There's lots of good info here on what to look for, but here are a few similar threads to help too. Hope you find the one for you soon! :nanawrench:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=38984
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=2553

1 - 6 of 6 Posts