El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well have had my share of suggestions on my exhaust, and watch some youtube videos,
And i can decide if i should keep the glasspacks or put in flowmaster 44's??

I LOVE loud, but like the sound of flowmasters.

Currently i have 16" dual glasspacks, which people ask if im running straight pipes lol (backwards)

Will flowmasters be louder, quieter, or the same?

I dont want to buy them and be quieter by much.:neutral:

And how do they act? Seen some crackle at 3,000rpm or above.

What do you guys PERSONALLY like?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..Go with Flowmaster.:beer:

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Flowmasters. The Super 44s are their loudest muffler with the deepest, angriest, most powerful grumble. They WILL sound better at all RPMs than the glasspacks of any brand. So do the high-end Dynomax mufflers. The nice welded stainless steel ones. But if you simply want louder, go with some Flowmasters!!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Glasspacks sound great for about 100 miles. When the fiberglass comes flying out and the bottom rusts out you need new ones.
Flowmasters use resonance reduction technology to remove the objectionable sounds. They also do not impede my motors exhaust flow. I have had my system for 10 years..no rust yet! And it sounds grrreat.
Really, the sweet part was that the parts arrived intact and fit perfectly. Very rare!

I will always be a Flowmaster fan because of the good fit!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
if you simply want louder why do you have mufflers at all?

I've never heard a glasspack i liked, leastways not since I was 16. they usually have horrible flow, often significantly less than much quieter mufflers, especially the really cheap ones what I would really like to see is a good flow comparison, you will find that the flowmasters arent on the top of the heap in flow either but IMO they sound better.

Like Lockjaw said, they rarely have much of a lifespan. flowmasters on the other hand can sound horrible or really really good. My elco came with a old set of 40's - stupid loud - I got rid of them within a week of getting the car.

However a friends nova and anothers belair, both big blocks, sound just plain awesome with flowmasters.

I say go flowmaster, with tailpipes.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Well i need mufflers cause if i ever get pulled over i need to show them i got mufflers:poke:

Flowmaster 44's it is. If i decide to change it. Working on carburetor now! Ill look for deals!

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Well I like the bombs!!! Cherry bombs!! Yea thier loud but if their to loud than your to old!!!:poke:
They don't burn out they burn in!!!:nanawrench:
Yes their not the best for air flow I can't help it, I love them!!!:inlove:
Donny

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have an 03 Silverado HD2500 with the 6.0 and have a set of Dynomax Bullet race mufflers on it. cruisin down the hiway they have a nice rumble. When I punch the loud pedal people run for cover. They sound wonderful. On my elky I have Stainless Magnaflows.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have glasspacks. I like the crackle and the sound from about idle-2,000 rpm. After that it just doesn't sound very powerful. Part of that being I have a 305. Flowmasters on the other hand sound good at almost any rpm, but only on certain engines. If you have a 305 like me I wouldn't reccomend it to me it just isn't enough engine for the mufflers. Also, you wont get the crackle of glasspacks. If you do go with flowmasters, consider shortening your exhaust for better sound maybe?

·
0 Posts
Go with Flowmasters! You'll have more respect that way while sounding good. Nothings worst than seeing a nice ride with loud cracking glasspacks. If you're over 30 and still running glasspacks,somethings wrong. Maybe you should consider buying a Corvette to accompany the mid life crisis sound you need....:poke:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay thanks guys!!

SteelBeast.... There are plenty of them:poke: at carshows half of em' got glass packs!

Oh steelbeast, in my video i showed you a while back, does it amplify my lope? Cause i like the lope of my cam or what ever you want to call it.

Donny...... I like glasspacks too! Im starting to think they are better on oldies like 20's, 30's, and 40's hotrods.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It really is a matter of opinion. Maybe get the flowmasters and keep the glasspacks to swap back to later if you dont like the sound?

·
0 Posts
You saw my vid. Cam lope sound really depends on how big the cam is. Your vid was good,but I think you'll like the rumble of dual Flowmasters.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay thanks!

Yeah i had a crappy camera, maybe i can make up a new video. Its got a nice lope

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
My Flowmaster 21/2" setup has very short two chamber mufflers. I have 31/2"" chrome pipes exiting behind the rear tires with the tips aimed to the rear. Above 65 the pipes are hard to hear if you are cruising. I think they sound great and look awesome. Photo in my garage album.

I am nearly 70 and I still like open headers when operated responsibly.(imagine that). One of the enjoyments for me is to hear the induction abd exhaust noise. I like WOT once in a while.....okay.....I like WOT a lot of the time.
you nevef outgrow your need for speed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts