El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at this '76 that was up on eBay and need a sanity check on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLASSIC-/150864709441?forcev4exp=true

I was the high bidder on the eBay auction but did not meet reserve, set at $10k.

Spoke with the owner who has had it for ~6 months, wants to sell to buy a Corvette.

Told me the doors and tailgate have been replaced, quarters also, says it is very solid. Could not tell what automatic trans is in it (did say it is a 3 speed, so probably a T350). The motor is a crate motor put in with the blower back in '84. A 10 bolt posi rear, not sure of the gearing. Says it has some aftermarket gauges, power windows/door locks work fine, AC works, but cruise does not. Has tilt steering wheel.

It is about a 4 hour drive for me to go see it. Asked him his bottom line, he dropped to $8500. I think if I go see it with my trailer might be able to do $7500.

If it is as clean as it looks in these few pictures, what do you guys think?

Opinions? I had an '75 close to this, so I am a bit biased. (that is a pic of my '75 attached)

Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
My opinion,if it is mostly what it appears to be from pic & description, a lot of work & money was put into it & you wouldn't get that far buying a lesser one & getting it to that level for less than his bottom line. Expect a few more small items to need attention, carefully inspect the larger items. It was somebody's baby for a long time, but nothings ever perfect.
Body is my 1st consideration. Who needs cruise with a blower? Hopefully mileage is authentic. Recently saw something on tv with a car restoration shop feeling for slack in the windshield wiper mechanism as a general gauge for low mileage being authentic??:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
low mileage

Bruce,
If you go look at the cruck, jack up the front, check and see if the ball joints are original (they would be rivited rather than bolted). If so, and the front end seems tight, no odd wear on the tires etc, I would think you might have a real low mileage car. My 77 showed 30K and I didn't believe it until I checked the ball joints.
Looks like a very nice cruck, not too sure about making a blower car a DD.
Good Luck,
bill

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you really don't want the blower, I can swing by and remove it for FREE. I will even haul it off for the price of gas. It looks like a solid car, only thing I question is, why does it have replacement sheet metal? It's not the fact that they were replaced, rather why they were replaced. Did it undergo a frame off? If that's the case, you're stealing it at that price. Paint/bodywork alone was probably more than that.

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you really don't want the blower, I can swing by and remove it for FREE. I will even haul it off for the price of gas. It looks like a solid car, only thing I question is, why does it have replacement sheet metal? It's not the fact that they were replaced, rather why they were replaced. Did it undergo a frame off? If that's the case, you're stealing it at that price. Paint/bodywork alone was probably more than that.
Might be a deal!

Ha ha...anyway, just spoke to the owner and I am going up this weekend with trailer in tow and cash in hand.....looks like I might have my next EC!

And to be truthful, the blower is the part I am not really thrilled with. Might change it out to a nice TPI setup over the top of the 406 SBC I have sitting in my garage.

Got to check the car out and hope it is as nice as I suspect.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Just a few things to consider...
His feedback rating is 88% with only 7 transactions...not good. Question everything he states.
The crate engine was put in 28 years ago.
Interior might be redone. Rusted out doors, 1/4's and tailgate means interior might have been damp/moldy too. Check floors and smuggler's area.
Car looks nice in pictures but then everything looks nice in pictures.
As far as miles are concerned, what difference does it make? 46,000 miles on what? The crate engine or the entire car? Now if 28 years after getting a new engine it only has 46,000 miles what were the miles when the original was replaced?
Those odometers are the easiest in the world to turn back, or forward depending on where you want the numbers. So in this case miles mean nothing. It might as well be 146,000 or 246,000, or.... You need to look at condition. Condition of everything. Body mounts, chassis, control arms, wet spots, etc. Check for stress cracks in everything. They didn't put a blower on it to drive like an old lady. (no offense to any old ladies on here)

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
One more thing. Take a car guy buddy who is brutally honest and really doesn't have any interest in the car. This way you'll see things from a realistic point of view instead of having emotions guide you.

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Told me the doors and tailgate have been replaced, quarters also, says it is very solid. Could not tell what automatic trans is in it (did say it is a 3 speed, so probably a T350). The motor is a crate motor put in with the blower back in '84.

Sorry all, correction to a typo I did niot catch.....engine was done in '04, not '84!

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more thing. Take a car guy buddy who is brutally honest and really doesn't have any interest in the car. This way you'll see things from a realistic point of view instead of having emotions guide you.

I am....taking my wife! She has an extremely good eye and she will tell me the truth!

She has learned all the in/outs over the years with me and sees things I don't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts