El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at this '76 that was up on eBay and need a sanity check on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLASSIC-/150864709441?forcev4exp=true

I was the high bidder on the eBay auction but did not meet reserve, set at $10k.

Spoke with the owner who has had it for ~6 months, wants to sell to buy a Corvette.

Told me the doors and tailgate have been replaced, quarters also, says it is very solid. Could not tell what automatic trans is in it (did say it is a 3 speed, so probably a T350). The motor is a crate motor put in with the blower back in '84. A 10 bolt posi rear, not sure of the gearing. Says it has some aftermarket gauges, power windows/door locks work fine, AC works, but cruise does not. Has tilt steering wheel.

It is about a 4 hour drive for me to go see it. Asked him his bottom line, he dropped to $8500. I think if I go see it with my trailer might be able to do $7500.

If it is as clean as it looks in these few pictures, what do you guys think?

Opinions? I had an '75 close to this, so I am a bit biased. (that is a pic of my '75 attached)

Bruce

Attachments

2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you really don't want the blower, I can swing by and remove it for FREE. I will even haul it off for the price of gas. It looks like a solid car, only thing I question is, why does it have replacement sheet metal? It's not the fact that they were replaced, rather why they were replaced. Did it undergo a frame off? If that's the case, you're stealing it at that price. Paint/bodywork alone was probably more than that.
Might be a deal!

Ha ha...anyway, just spoke to the owner and I am going up this weekend with trailer in tow and cash in hand.....looks like I might have my next EC!

And to be truthful, the blower is the part I am not really thrilled with. Might change it out to a nice TPI setup over the top of the 406 SBC I have sitting in my garage.

Got to check the car out and hope it is as nice as I suspect.

2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Told me the doors and tailgate have been replaced, quarters also, says it is very solid. Could not tell what automatic trans is in it (did say it is a 3 speed, so probably a T350). The motor is a crate motor put in with the blower back in '84.

Sorry all, correction to a typo I did niot catch.....engine was done in '04, not '84!

2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more thing. Take a car guy buddy who is brutally honest and really doesn't have any interest in the car. This way you'll see things from a realistic point of view instead of having emotions guide you.

I am....taking my wife! She has an extremely good eye and she will tell me the truth!

She has learned all the in/outs over the years with me and sees things I don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.