El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..I don't know,if your going to switch over to a "Holley" and your trying to keep it simple,well,I'd check this out...:dontknow::secret:

..Don't get me wrong,I do Love my Q-jet rottenchester..:inlove:
:beer:

Attachments

·
0 Posts
I would go with that but remember,its not fuel friendly and you won't get as much of a boost as a 750 qjet.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,050 Posts
There pretty much isnt any carb that offers more adjustment flexibility than a q-jet, unfortunately that mass of adjustability makes them complex. The street avenger looks to be just a 4150 or 4160 model depending on if it uses a secondary metering block or plate, its no more or less adjustable than any other holley.

primary jets
secondary jets (or metering plate)
power valve
secondary springs (for vacc secondaries)

·
6,307 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,050 Posts
I drove a 65 elco equipped with one of those demon AFB thingamagigs on Car Craft's anti-tour. I didnt like it at all and niether did the car, leastways not out of the box. I suppose it finally got setup and ran ok, but out of the box it was utter crap.

·
6,307 Posts
I drove a 65 elco equipped with one of those demon AFB thingamagigs on Car Craft's anti-tour. I didnt like it at all and niether did the car, leastways not out of the box. I suppose it finally got setup and ran ok, but out of the box it was utter crap.
..this is good to know,I thought it look cool,but far as performince,I really don't know.I've always work on "Q-Jet" most of my life,and I do like them,there really easy to work on,AFB/AVS can be a pain in the butt,adjusting two floats instead of one,Now,Holley,That a "mechainc" carb.,there great,as long as you know what your doing,I like holley,there easy to work on too,two floats that easy to adjust.If I had a choice between Carbs.it would be the holley 4165,just because it has mech. sec.:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
If you call Mountain Man Carb & Injection ,Ted or Ardell will make you so happy you'll be doing backflips !! The only way to go as far as I'm concerned. POWER and MILEAGE ,all wrapped up in one package and supported by the best people in the business !! 479-639-2022 WP

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Holley and the Holley designed other brands are infinately adjustable. One downside is that they can never achieve the mileage efficiency of a q-jet. But, throttle response is superb. There are several good books available on tuning and modifying Holleys. When they are dialed in right they do a super job, especially when WOT.
james

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
jpmdaddy, I'm running the Avenger 670 on a crate 350/260hp, elect choke, vac sec. All is well.
Don't run the clear sight plugs included as mine cracked and could have had a fire; only for adjs.
Dale

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
I run the 670 as well. It's easy to set up and works well for me. Not great for economy though.

·
6,307 Posts
The 600 CFM 1850 Holley works good on a 350 engine, but maybe not enough flow for what you want. A 750 is too big for a 350, and a 670 seems about as big as you should go. Most Q-jets are 750, but the way they manage flow works out good for most engines.
...I don't think he's wants to change the intake manifold to a "square port" design, if he dose,well,heck,he can run any type of holley carb.:dontknow:

..go to this web site and scroll on down to 800 cfm spread bore holley...
Item number H4V-15

Holley 800 CFM double pumper rebuilt carburetor :secret:

http://www.carburetorsandmore.com/Holleycarbs.htm

:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I have run,several 670's and they are great right out of the box,and also have installed,total of 5 for my customers, no complaints !

1 - 20 of 60 Posts