El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 el camino. It has the original 305 with a new intake manifold and carb. There’s some blow by. It doesn’t die or have trouble starting. But the stock auto transmission does shift hard until it warms up.

I need to get it about 500 miles. Recently the farthest it’s gone was 200 with no issues. So, thoughts?

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,691 Posts
Check the transmission fluid level,engine oil and water and go for it.
As mentioned take it easy and cruise it home. If you decide not to drive it,you will have to pay to tow it 500 miles. If you only make it 200 miles then that's 200 miles of towing you don't have to pay for.
Been there,done that...how far it can get is anyone's guess. There are a lot of factors affecting that outcome.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There’s some blow by. It doesn’t die or have trouble starting. The stock auto transmission does shift hard until it warms up.
None of these issues preclude driving the car, although personally I'd check the transmission fluid level. If the cooling system functions, all components have sufficient lubricants, and there are no unusual noises (specifically engine/driveline related grinding or knocking), it should continue on for thousands of miles.

Certainly an older, high mileage vehicle MAY suffer a sudden failure at any time, but there's no reason to expect this if everything functions without issue.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If it doesn’t fail in daily, in town driving, then it’ll likely survive a highway trip. If you have the 200C three speed trans, likely failure will be losing reverse (mine did) which means, with ‘strategic parking’, you can drive cross country before it gets worse. Plan extra time, take highways instead of interstates, and plan for ‘cool downs’ and you should be good.
Patrick

·
Registered
1979 GMC Caballero
18 Posts
500 miles isn’t too far. Just be prepared for anything. Keep some extra fluids with you (oil, water , ATF, spare tire and lug wrench, etc). Roadside assistance might be your friend in this situation if you’re really worried. Stop slip and stop someone might be helpful if you really have an issue with burning oil or slipping gears.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,620 Posts
500 miles isn’t too far. Just be prepared for anything. Keep some extra fluids with you (oil, water , ATF, spare tire and lug wrench, etc). Roadside assistance might be your friend in this situation if you’re really worried. Stop slip and stop someone might be helpful if you really have an issue with burning oil or slipping gears.
couple extra belts wouldn't hurt either

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
-Baby it home.

-When you stop at a red light, get in the habit of sliding it into neutral to take the pressure off of the drive line and engine.

-Make sure the idle isn't too high.

-Check the ignition wires.

This is another time points would be better then HEI..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 87 el camino. It has the original 305 with a new intake manifold and carb. There’s some blow by. It doesn’t die or have trouble starting. But the stock auto transmission does shift hard until it warms up.

I need to get it about 500 miles. Recently the farthest it’s gone was 200 with no issues. So, thoughts?
Maybe Have someone follow you as a tow vehicle with a strap

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
If you are really worried about it, why not just rent a trailer and trailer it home. Cheaper than towing and easier on the nerves. But as someone said, if it's someone's daily driver, I'd go for it, with extra belts and fluids of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 87 el camino check your fluid levels like everyone said. trust me inside the passenger side kick panel is your rides brain. completely unplug it and your ride will run better than ever! it only takes a screwdriver and a couple of minutes. just try it . I am alan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts